[Reader-list] The Slimes of India's Patna edition reprints, Danishcartoon

Shivam mail at shivamvij.com
Fri Feb 10 15:56:55 IST 2006

This debate is taking place only on the plane of free speech vs.
'sentiments'. Some other things that one perhaps needs to keep in
mind:

Would YOU make and publish a cartoon like that? I'm not asking whether
you should be 'allowed' to, but would you? In other words, we are
completely missing the religious, cultural and political aspects of
the specific case of the publication of an offensive (so obviously
offensive) 'cartoon' (the trivial being used to heighten the impact of
mocking at what the mocked-at takes very seriously) depicting Mohammed
in a European newspaper in a post-9/11 world.