[Reader-list] first posting from Udayan Kumar

Ravikant ravikant at sarai.net
Sat Jan 14 17:39:06 IST 2006

This is Udayakumar.M. My basic academic training
training was in Political Science and I completed a
masters degree in the discipline from Kerala
University in 2001. Soon after my sudies I started
working as a researcher at the Folklore Society of
South Indian Languages.I worked at the society for
nine months.Since then on I have been trying to
maintain a sustained engagement with several fieds of
knowledge which bradly come under the rubric of Human
Sciences. The nature of my engagement has been in such
a way as to deepen my understanding of both classical
texts and contemporary theoretical literature in order
for me to make a better sense of what is happening
around us.

                               This kind of a
temperament,like anyone,made me stumble upon an
incident  which happened in the capital city of kerala
on  6th february 2000 . Infact,the project I am
undertaking is an attempt to launch an intrpretative
intervention(of the incident).
                                   As I already
mentioned in the proposl,I have repeatedly gone
through those interviews having been conducted in the
next couple of days after the incident. This helped me
find out much more nuanced openings to go about.
     I would like to mention at least one of them, as
an initial finding, eventhough many considerations are
in place: Some of the respondents said that they had
assumed the trespasser to be a mad man. This
attribute,for example,puts the making up of the event
in a delicate balance from a different coceptual
angle. I therefore will have to enquir into the
further course of action followed up after the
incident during the coming field trip.
                                                 In
the next posting I will be able to come up with a
detailed elucidation of the other intricacies involved
in the making up of the event.

Udayakumar.M