[Reader-list] pictures, religius fundamentalism???

mamta mantri bawree at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 17:35:39 IST 2006

This happened two months ago,,, I was walking towards
Sagar Restaurant from Mumbai Central Railway station
on a teaching assignment again. The area is
predominantly an upper middle-class and rich area,
with Muslim majority, and you can see burqas and fez
caps all around (pardon me for this). I pass through a
telecommunication shop, which has Reliance posters
(the one which has a woman with the phone and the
caption reads as ‘Celebrate diwali till holi’), on the
glass pane at the entrance. However, what was missing
was the woman’s face, which was cut off in a very
perfect manner. At first thoughts, it looks like any
poster tearing event, but if looked at, closer, a very
different picture emerges. When asked about the
poster, the shopkeeper cited religion as the reason
for the act of removing the woman’s face, and he
obviously had to keep the poster as a command from the
company. I was definitely very disturbed at the
incident. The horrors of fundamentalism were just
there. I do have clicked pictures of the same. Hoping
for some responses here on,,,,