[Reader-list] First Posting

Vikhar Ahmed vikharjnu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 15:47:44 IST 2006

I tried to send the posting two days back but it bounced off for some
reason...Anyway sending it again.

Hi everyone,

I'm Vikhar Ahmed Sayeed and am studying journalism at the Asian
College of Journalism, Chennai. I completed my M. A in Modern History
from JNU last year and came here to postpone the decision about what I
wanted to do in life and to avoid the parochial confines of academic
research. At some level I've been a drifter…my graduation was in
commerce and then I went on to study history (I didn't know that I
would be studying history till a day before the results came out, my
first choice was for another course) – but I've enjoyed the ride so
far so I might even recommend it!
I intend to continue research on a topic that I've explored in some
detail for my M. A seminar paper. The paper I wrote was on 'Intra-
Islamic Rivalry in late 19th Century and early 20th Century: A Case
Study of the Fatawas of Sanaullah Amritsari'. In this paper I had
looked at the differences that existed amongst the various sects
within Indian Islam and I demonstrated how fatawas were used to foster
these differences.
In my research as an Independent Fellow at Sarai (my topic is 'Indian
Print Media and it's Reportage on fatawas) I want to see how much the
media has been sensitive when they report about fatawas. Do they
understand what a fatwa is? Do they understand the role it plays in
the lives of Muslims, if it plays any role at all? Why does an obscure
maulvi issuing a fatwa become a newsworthy item at all? I will try to
trace the history of fatwa reportage in the Indian print media going
back to the time of the reports of the infamous fatwa that was given
about Salman Rushdie, depending of course, on the access to archives.
	I will also try to look at the manner in which the whole world of
fatawas operates and try to find out the relevance it holds for a
contemporary Indian Muslim by trying to visit prominent madrasas
across India that are affiliated to the various sects within Indian
Islam.
	Comments and suggestions are invited…

Will be more punctual with my next posting,

Vikhar Ahmed.