[Reader-list] First Posting

Dripta Piplai dripta82 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 15:50:37 IST 2006

  Dripta Piplai, I-Fellow, Sarai

  I am Dripta, an M.Phil student of Linguistics from University of Delhi. I have research
  interests in music and musicology-specially in areas like sociology of music, language of music etc. My upcoming work for Sarai is related to the Calcutta Music schools of Tagore songs and their hegemonic traditions in urban culturescape.

  My work is divided into two parts. At one part, I am trying to make an archive of some Tagore songs which have more than one style, rhythm or tune –and which have never been systematically documented. Visva Bharati, Santiniketan had tried to make an archive of such songs in the year 2003. Some experts and research scholars were appointed for the work, too. But finally, they could not do it. The Akashbani, Kolkata had tried for an archive, also but they concentrated basically on the printed notation forms and neglected the undocumented forms, which can be found in the Calcutta music-schools.

  There is a striking fact that, though there are variations of the songs, still some particular varieties get preference and recognition (e.g. get approval from the music board, record companies, Critiques, cultural programme committees etc). My work will try to find out the reasons for the dominance of some particular variations of Rabindra Sangit, which is essentially a part of power-game in Calcutta-based Rabindra Sangit circle.

  My study will include collection of different varieties of notations, course materials of the schools, and interviews with the teachers etc. The work will be presented as an academic paper, and CDs of the documented versions of Rabindra Sangit will also be presented to the Sarai archive.