[Reader-list] 1st Post - Tushar Bhor

tushar bhor tushar_bhor at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 10:42:33 IST 2006

  1st Posting:
  Working Title: WATER LENSES - Prelude for new imagination for urban water of Mumbai.

  Hey every one, myself Tushar V Bhor, a Mumbaikar and is qualified as an Architect (2002-2003) and then pursued fellowship from Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture and Environmental Studies, Mumbai (2003-2004). Presently, I am working with a NGO, Aga Khan Planning and Building Service, India, on professional capacity as a Program Officer. In addition, I am also part of Mumbai Fort Forum (MFF), which is group of young Architects aspiring to do some work in conservation in the City of Mumbai.

  The present topic for Independent Fellowship titled “WATER LENSES - Prelude for new imagination for urban water of Mumbai” is developed through my recent investigation in informal system of water supply in old city of Mumbai for the purpose of documentary film. Rather, the investigation becomes part of the larger argument that I intend to make through this fellowship program.

  Imagine the infuriating moment, if there is sudden drop in the pressure of your tap while taking a bath. You surely do not forget to swear the unknown responsible person, who ranges from family member or the plumber, who must have recently repaired the system or infact the society secretary, you had a fight over GBM and even to an extent the municipal corporation. Such incidences, knowingly or unknowingly reminds some of the players involved in providing water to you. Consider this above incidence as one of the loop in the chain, then it can be assumed that there will be several such players involved in the water resource acquisition, allocation and consumptions.

  I further put forth the argument that, such players exist in the City with creation of their own territories. To begin investigation, the territory can be defined as - “It is a spatial entity endowed of its own identity. This own identity is characterized by its limits, its history, and also by the manner in which the social groups that live within in manifest themselves, and gives an impression to others outside. It is composed of a social and institutional actor organization”. (Anastasia Anguelatou, 2005:  Reference from the synopsis of PhD. thesis titled, ‘The informal economy of water and sustainable development’).

  I will support my initial argument by stating an example of Mumbai City. The liberalization policy initiated in 90’s triggered for so called “new economy” in the city. One of the characteristics of this was the resultant role of State changing from provider to facilitator. This was evident through disinvestments of State and shift in development mechanism through private sector participation. The second characteristic was development of service economy, which created new working and living conditions in the City and these changing trends are seen in housing, transportation and resources utilization.

  Water being one of the important resources depicted a peculiar characteristic ranging from state provided centralized system to community based informal systems. In first case, although the centralized system of water supply is 8th largest in the world, there exists 33% of unaccounted consumption that is presumed to being consumed by government institutions (This is in reference to the study conducted by group Water Group in 2003). Second, is the increasing number of small scale water operators (also other then slums) functioning through extremely organized structure, which acquires and distributes the water by developing own tactics. Both the cases represent a peculiar imagination, one is the critical imagination on the role of the state as service provider/facilitator and second, in the context of marginalized community, where the system becomes mode of sustenance and livelihood.

  Further, if an assumption is made that in any system, the access to water is made available through number of negotiations at different levels, then it becomes imperative to identify the various hybrid systems and understand the players that operates on these territories. The territories will not be restricted to the mode of legality or illegality, but will be based on the opportunities, which allow specific negotiation for water resource acquisition, allocation and consumptions.

  Hence through this initial argument, I intend to construct an imagination, as against the ideal imagination, for water resource acquisition, allocation and consumption. Various players will be investigated ranging from political and bureaucratic players, big and small water owners & managers to society level water operators, plumbers and water vendors, etc.

  Various stories will be identified about the players in the context of their operating territories. These stories will be positioned through the layers of development of the Mumbai City.

  Regards

..

TUSHAR BHOR
ARCHITECT and INDEPENDENT RESEARCHER.

Residence Address:
10/60, Madhu Sadan,Sion(w),Mumbai–400022,Maharashtra,India.
Tel. No: +91 22 24083828.
Mobile: +91 98190 35176.
E mail: tushar_bhor at yahoo.com