[Reader-list] First posting of Independent Fellowships Sarai/CSDS

Averee Chaurey avereec at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 26 23:46:35 IST 2006

PROJECT: THE SONG OF THE BAUL

AVEREE CHAUREY

INITIAL POSTING

PERSONAL PROFILE

I have been associated with theatre since my college days. As I entered
Jadavpur University at Kolkata for my graduation, I joined one of the
foremost groups of Kolkata, Bohurupee. Known for stalwarts like Shombhu
Mitra and Tripti Mitra,Bohurupee was at the frontline of  Bengali theatre.
It was during the same time that I began my career as an announcer
,newscaster and an actress  in TV serials and feature films.I completed my
Masters in Comparative Literature from Jadavpur University in 1982 .

I left Kolkata to come toDelhi after marriage but continued to follow my
passion,theatre.I have worked in many plays in English ,Hindi and Bengali
with Habib Tanvir , Amal Allana,Rajendranath ,Feisal Alkazi  and Tripurari
Sharma.Along with theatre, I was also active in newsreading assignments for
Doordarshan and TVI . I was responsible for founding the Bengali theatre
group ,Bikalpa .I worked a full time job with the Public Relations of
Kribhco for 20 years but have now taken early retirement to follow my
creative instincts.

PROJECT

My project entails an attempt to understand the performance tradition of the
Bauls ,the singing minstrels of Bengal .Throughout history , Bauls have
remained an enigma .As a performer myself,it has been a lifelong dream to
know more about them . This project also tries to look into their deep
rooted tradition and how they have transformed in this age of globalisation
. Though their origins can be traced to Silaidaho , now in Bangladesh ,the
Baul  tradition has thrived throughout Bengal since the 19th century .During
the early decades of the twentieth century, especially since the 1920 s ,
Bengal ‘s leading intellectuals like Tagore and Kshitimohan Senshastri took
up the Bauls’ cause to explore their culture and spiritual thought. Their
songs are indicative of different concerns ,from patriotism to social
problems and romantic love .It is the philosophy of the Bauls which has
drawn me to start this project.

METHODS,MATERIALS & PROCESSES

The methods employed will be :
1.	Study of their music and the message they seek to give.
2.	Study of reference books on their lives and philosophy. (Some books have
been procured and some will be borrowed from libraries like National
Library,Kolkata,
Sahitya Akademi,Delhi,and Folk and Tribal Culture Centre,Department of
Information and Culture,W.Bengal Government.
3.	Travelling to and personally interacting with the Bauls at various
locations and fairs in West Bengal.Personal interaction will include taped
interviews and photographs whenever possible.
4.	Drawing upon the resources of people like social historians etc. who have
lived and interacted deeply with Bauls.

INITIAL FINDINGS

The Bauls live in a state of abject poverty,barring a few who have become
famous through local patronage,television coverage and travel abroad .They
earn their living through melas(fairs) and from begging for alms.Though
traditionally nomadic,there are some who live in permanent settlement in a
community.The west nup homes and some children of Bauls even go to school.
However,they have their own social mores.

For a Baul,the concept of Radha and Krishna’s love is important .They do not
worship any deity and Guru is the supreme for them.Their sadhana is
through”woman’,their `sangini’ or wives.They hold women in high esteem which
is obvious through their songs. The human body has an important place in the
Baul tradition and philosophy. According to them,what is there in the
universe is in the human body. (Jaha ache ei brahmande , tahai ache ei deho
bhande ).For them ,it is a constant search of the man of the heart – Moner
Manush.