[Reader-list] Review of Irshad Manji's book

Shohini Ghosh shohini at vsnl.com
Sat Jul 8 07:09:54 IST 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Vikhar Ahmed
  To: mahmood farooqui
  Cc: Shohini Ghosh ; Reader List ; Monica Narula
  Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 11:49 PM
  Subject: Re: [Reader-list] Review of Irshad Manji's book

  7th July 2006

  Dear Shohini Ghosh,

  I must thank you for taking interest and responding to my review and you raise an interesting question.

  "Can Islam and homosexuality be reconciled?"

              There is an interesting essay that answers this question partly in the book 'Because I have a Voice' edited by Gautam Bhan and Arvind Narain. An essay written by Ali Potia explores the experience of growing up gay and Muslim. Potia's argument in the essay is that Islam does not provide space to homosexuality and thus he chooses a simple way and walks out of Islam (It has been some time since I read this essay but I don't think I've forgotten his argument – but if I've got it wrong in any way I apologise). This would be an interesting place to start your exploration of the question whether Islam and homosexuality can be reconciled.

              Secondly, I will try to look at the primary source of Islamic Shariah, i.e., the Quran and try to give an answer to the question whether Islam and homosexuality can be reconciled. The caveat here is that I cannot even claim mild expertise on the shariah but hopefully my answer would be a semblance of the orthodox scriptural response to the whole issue.

              In the seventh chapter of the Quran, Al-A'raf Verse 81 strictly speaks out against homosexuality. The story of the Prophet Lot is common to the three semitic faiths and he was sent "…as a Prophet and warner to the people of Sodom and Gomorrah, cities utterly destroyed for their unspeakable sins".

  Chapter 7, Verse 80-81:

              We also (sent) Lut:

              He said to his people:

              "Do ye commit lewdness

              Such as no people

              In creation (ever) committed

              Before you?

              "For ye practice your lusts

              On men in preference

              To women: ye are indeed

              A people transgressing

              Beyond bounds".

  Chapter 26, Verse 165-166 says:

              "Of all the creatures

              In the world, will ye

              Approach males,

              And leave those whom Allah

              Has created for you

              To be your mates?

              Nay, ye are a people

              Transgressing (all limits)!"

  Thus, it is clear from these verses that the Quran considers homosexuality to be a transgression and there would not be place for homosexuality within Islam. There are also other verses in the Quran that speak about this theme. I remember having a conversation with Sanjay Kabir Bavikatte, a lawyer who studied in NLS, about this a long time back when he was doing some research on Islamic Liberation Theology. He was trying to reconcile Islam and homosexuality using these verses but I don't think interpretations of Islamic law can really alter this fundamental piece of Quranic evidence.

              About the point you make about the role of desire this should clear matters up a bit but I am also looking at some material on the psychology of suicide bombers. I will write to you again about that.

              Thirdly, I disagree with you when you say that the question of Islam and homosexuality is central to Manji's book. The central theme in Manji's book is her emphasis that there needs to be a reform within the contemporary understanding of Islam. Within this larger theme Islam's orthodox denial of homosexuality is one part. What I find very interesting about Manji is that she strongly identifies herself with Islam even though orthodox Muslims would not consider her to be a Muslim. Unlike Ali Potia she does not choose to abandon Islam.

              A fourth point that I would like to make would add on to Mahmood Farroqui's comments. Historically Islamic societies (I find that phrase slightly troublesome because can there be a society whose basis is primarily religious – Islamic in this instance- but let me use it in this case)  have condoned homosexuality. I will cite two instances that this is shown.

              In Orhan Pamuk's 'My Name is Red' there is excessive reference to pederasty as an accepted form of sensual gratification in sixteenth century Turkey. At that point of time the Caliphate (which can in some senses be interpreted as a symbol of power more than a religious symbol) was with the Turks. Thus, it could be categorized as one of the more religious Islamic societies in the world at that time. There is a celebration of same sex love and the manner in which the miniaturist 'Butterfly' is described and the relationship between Master Osman and his apprentices alluded to without any sense of shame portrays same sex love beautifully. I found Pamuk's novel to be well researched historically and that is why I think this can be cited as a valid example.

              A second instance is that of Baburnama. This is a sixteenth century text again and is Babur's autobiography. Babur, unashamedly, describes his feelings of love for a boy in his adolescence. He writes about his feelings for the boy, "…before this experience I had never felt a desire for anyone, nor did I listen to talk of love and affection or speak of such things". Thus, I think I can (based on the limited evidence I could muster) conclude that historically Islamic societies have made no secret of the fact that homosexuality was accepted (Again, same-sex love between women is something that I do not have any evidence on).

  I have made an attempt to provide you with an initial idea of 'Islam and homosexuality' but I confess that I need to read up more on the issue myself. I will also keep you updated if I find any more relevant material about this.

  Bye,

  Vikhar Ahmed Sayeed.