[Reader-list] experimental method:Asahaye Mahanagar VIII

Syed Yunus delhi.yunus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 18:55:26 IST 2006

Experimental Research:
Just to share that I am trying to collect some data from my
respondents ( helpline workers) through photographs and  my first
learning is that ,no matter how right and open questions you ask ,
respondent have a lot more to ask from you .
So for the purpose of getting open response ,I gave a hot shot camera
to one of the worker and asked him to click pictures of his interest
related to his work .
he  has been taking snaps for quite some years for the sake of keeping
records of cases in helpline and to record events like meetings ,
awareness programs or evidence etc, but he was a little curious to
know  why I have  bought a new camera and confused about what type of
pictures  he is supposed to take and he asked me a number of
questions.  Making him a little bit comfortable and leaving him sort
of 'open' for his ideas I told him my purpose and suggested  to take
snaps of  significant part of his work life .few days back  he handed
me the camera with the exposed film ,  a sense of  responsibility and
a brief sharing of his experience. he said that the experience was
both refreshing and troubling at times. Refreshing because he got to
do some thing out of the 'stress' of helpline. He said that he was
very conscious while taking each snap that there should be some 'logic
behind them'. But he enjoyed doing it  and curious to see the results.
In a light mood he also shared that while taking snaps of GRP police
,he faced a little problem because the police man was skeptical about
why he is taking pictures. He also gave reasons of why he has shot
photographs of  girls at Pulse polio booth and that I should not think
of any ulterior motive ( I haven't ask so far about any thing) .
I will get back to him once the photographs are developed to get is
comments on them. In the meantime  i have given  the camera to another
respondents (after facing another round of questions and getting
refused by two of them).
hope to share the findings soon,

Yunus