[Reader-list] South Asian Entries on Wikipedia

Ravikant ravikant at sarai.net
Sat Jul 15 13:58:04 IST 2006

Dear Shuddha and All,

In my off the list response to Jassim, I suggested we could start with at
least a nice biblio on 1857, which will be good for students, fresh teachers
and journalists in general, to say nothing about the unprofessional curious
mind. There is indeed very little content on History, especially, south asian
history on wikipedia.

And as we all know, wikipedia can be done in any language that is unicode
supported.  Anyway I will start a page on 1857 biblio and circulate the link,
then everybody can pitch in. The annotation to books can carry further
conceptual, factual notes.

Post google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_rebellion_of_1857

There is actually a page on 1857 and a biblio, too. But it is a small one. I
paste the biblio below:

Cheers
ravikant

   1. ^ Eric Stokes “The First Century of British Colonial Rule in India:
Social Revolution or Social Stagnation?” Past and Present №.58 (Feb. 1973)
pp136-160
   2. ^ Seema Alavi The Sepoys and the Company (Delhi: Oxford University
Press) 1998 p5
   3. ^ Christopher Hibbert The Great Mutiny (London: Allen Lane) 1978 pp51-4
   4. ^ Memorandum from Lieutenant-Colonel W. St. L. Mitchell (CO of the 19th
BNI) to Major A. H. Ross about his troop's refusal to accept the Enfield
cartridges, 27 February 1857, Archives of Project South Asia, South Dakota
State University and Missouri Southern State University
   5. ^ Sir John Kaye & G.B. Malleson.: The Indian Mutiny of 1857, (Delhi:
Rupa & Co.) reprint 2005 p49
   6. ^
   7. ^ Qizilbash, Basharat Hussain (30th June 2006)The tragicomic hero. The
Nation. Nawai-e-Waqt Group. Available online at [1]

[edit]

Further reading

    * Raikes, Charles: Notes on the Revolt in the North-Western Provinces of
India, Longman, London, 1858.
    * Russell, William Howard, My Diary in India in the years 1858-9,
Routledge, London, 1860, (2 vols.)
    * Trevelyan, Sir George Otto, Cawnpore, Indus, Delhi, (first edition
1865), reprint 2002.
    * Khan, Sir Syed Ahmad, Asbab-e Baghawat-e Hind 1859; Translated as The
Causes of the Indian Revolt, Allahabad, 1873.
    * Kaye, Sir John & Malleson, G.B.: The Indian Mutiny of 1857, Rupa & Co.,
Delhi, (1st edition 1890) reprint 2005.
    * Roberts, Field Marshal Lord, Forty-one Years in India, Richard Bentley,
London, 1897 Forty-one years in India, available freely at Project Gutenberg
    * Innes, Lt. General McLeod: The Sepoy Revolt, A.D. Innes & Co., London,
1897.
    * Fitchett, W.H., B.A.,LL.D., A Tale of the Great Mutiny, Smith, Elder &
Co., London, 1911.
    * Sen, Surendra Nath, Eighteen fifty-seven, (with a foreword by Maulana
Abul Kalam Azad), Indian Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, Delhi, 1957.
    * Barter, Captain Richard The Siege of Delhi. Mutiny memories of an old
officer, London, The Folio Society, 1984.
    * Hibbert, Christopher, The Great Mutiny : India 1857, London, Allen Lane,
1988.
    * Roy, Tapti, The politics of a popular uprising : Bundelkhand 1857,
Delhi, for the Oxford University Press, 1994.
    * Stanley, Peter, White Mutiny: British Military Culture in India,
1825-1875, Christopher Hurst & Co., London, 1998.
    * Taylor, P. J. O., What really happened during the mutiny : a day-by-day
account of the major events of 1857 - 1859 in India, Delhi, for the Oxford
University Press, 1999.
    * Rizvi, Syed Khurshid Mustafa: 1857 - History of the Indian Struggle for
Freedom, Raza Library, Rampur, 2000 [in Urdu].
    * Mukherjee, Rudrangshu: Awadh in Revolt 1857-1858, Permanent Black,
Delhi, 2001.
    * Saul David, The Indian Mutiny : 1857,Penguin Books, 2003.
    * Farrell, J.G. "The Siege of Krishnapur", New York Review of Books, 2004.

Friday 14 जुलाई 2006 17:24 को, Shuddhabrata Sengupta ने लिखा था: