[Reader-list] in search of the bhands

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 22:28:11 IST 2006

Dear Mahmood
Very interesting read on the Bhands. I think the
question of why we treat them with such disrespect has
something to do with how we have treated all our
traditional artists - what caste they belong to?
Meerasis, dhadis and so on have always remained at the
lowest rung of the society (I even heard terms like
Chooda-chamar for musicians in Pakistan/Punjab). Any
"respectable" family man or woman going to learn
traditional music is always denounced as going the
meerasi way - the most disrespectable profession. Then
there are layers and layers of castes between the
classical gavayyas and the qawwals, the bhands, and so
on. I even know one extended family in Delhi where
some people practice khayal while some others are
qawwals - the khayaliyas always disown the qawwal part
of their family since its a different class.

But it would be interesting to compare our traditional
bhaands to the new bhands appearig on Star-TV's
Laughter Challenge. Fancily staged comedy shows are a
new craze on every TV channel. Difficult to see the
difference between the traditional bhands and Jhony
Lever.

Yousuf

--- mahmood farooqui <mahmood.farooqui at gmail.com>

"