[Reader-list] Fwd: Confessions of Lurker

iram at sarai.net iram at sarai.net
Mon Mar 20 13:02:57 IST 2006

------  Original Message  ------
Subject: Confessions of Lurker
To:      iram at sarai.net
From:    reader-list-bounces at sarai.net
Date:    Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:26:56 +0100

Hello,

I thought I should prepare at least a brief account of myself rather than
sit at the edge of the pool watching all of the divers.

My name¹s Samara Mitchell and I¹m a freelance writer, public artist and
occasional puppet wrangler in a shadow theatre company called Plato¹s Cave.
At the time of this posting my home and capital city of Adelaide, South
Australia, is awash in a sea of festive events that marketing would have
collapse into a single wave. Of course, no amount of  arts marketing will
get as many people into the front door to see a Biennial of Australian
Modern Art as - The Man Who Breathes Through his Eyes - gets every hour
within his carnival tent at the Fringe Festival's - Garden of Unearthly
Delights.

I¹m interested in varying perceptions of what constitutes a city¹s
progress. At the end of a festival, I sometimes lament that the tents,
rigging and prosceniums come down, and not the institutional buildings.
Of course, the carnival has got to move or collapse under the weight of its
own stillness :-)

Kudos to all for the reading list. I look forward to the discussions.

Warmest regards,
Samara