[Reader-list] Second posting - Parismita

parismita singh parismitasingh at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 20 14:35:59 IST 2006

  Parismita
  Second posting - a series of comic book stories.

  Hello!

  I've been very erratic with my postings, getting the whole act together has been a problem because i've been travelling a lot. But i hope to be in Delhi for the next few months, and will catch up!

  I've had to do more thinking about my stories - and their theme- migrants-in -the -city and stories that look back at the regions they come from. People seem to have different expectations of a project like this. And almost feel a little disapppointed when there are no tribal-girls-in-military-fatigues-by-riverside situations ( at least not without irony) or  a Persepolis take. Someone posted an article about how to write about Africa some time back. Well, that made a lot of sense to me most of  last month.

  But I've been playing around with some short two page pieces, and that's been fun. Unlike my longer stories ( 10 to 20 pages long), which are more in the traditional story telling mode, with text and image and narrative voice etc. With the shorter pieces, I'm working with just images ( no text- or minimal text), with a certain economy , capturing perhaps just the passing of a thought or a mood. The kind of thing one expects from poetry. But comics?

  I have a piece - At the Park ( a two page story) up on my blog.

  http://parismitasingh.blogspot.com/

  (Some of the details need a little peering because of the resolution business)

  Thanks!
  Parismita