[Reader-list] Writing english

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 23 15:03:35 IST 2006

Hi, thanks so much for bringing this issue to the attention of the list.

Now that we're talking, I would like to make some suggestions.

Often the postings that are so hard to read are coming from Sarai
fellows that are invited or required (or not, please correct me...) to
post their research outcomes to this list.

Many of these postings lack even the most basic formatting. Perhaps
Sarai could give some basic email and web training before the scholars
embark on their journey.

Often there are not even subject lines. Or it says just says "second
posting". No name of the author or intro, nothing. We plunge directly
into the story. That's such a missed opportunity.

Indeed, the fonts of the posting and the absence of the paragraphs is
an issue too, but this is a little harder to tackle as every mail
program that we use is different. Still... with a little design
awareness we could have so much more pleasure in reading.

It would be much better to migrate the very interesting sarai fellow
postings to some special website or blogs and pay a bit more attention
to the layout of the texts as the material is really first class. Of
course this should not replace email/this list, but now a lot of the
efforts are wasted, I fear.

Best, Geert