[Reader-list] meeting on call centre work...

A Khanna s0454533 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Mon May 1 00:50:37 IST 2006

think this may be interesting for some...
best,
akshay

Discussion-Meeting on Call Centre Work and of Struggles in some European
  Call Centres

  Workers' Solidarity invites you to a discussion meeting on call centre work
  and struggles in Europe. The meeting would consist of two parts:

  1) Presentation of a workers' self-inquiry project in Germany. In 1999, a
  collective in Germany decided to work in various call centres in order to
  understand the new work organisation and possible new forms of workers'
  struggles. They made interviews, collected reports from different call
  centres, translated strike news and published a call centre workers
  newspaper. An activist, Marco, who was actively part the process will
present these experiences and the political background of a political
current
  in Europe which developed the concept of workers' self-inquiry as a part of
  revolutionary organising.

  Here are some relevant links:

  http://www.nadir.org/nadir/initiativ/kolinko/lebuk/e_lebuk.htm
  (link to call center inquiry book)
  http://www.wildcat-www.de/en/wildcat/64_65/w64opera_en.htm
  (link to article on tradition of workers inquiry)

  2) In the second part we want to discuss the global shift of call centre
  work and different workers' struggles in the sector. Our main question
  concerns the impact globalisation of call centre work has on the working
  conditions and possible struggles in the various countries.

  http://www.prol-position.net/nl/2005/03/bangalore
  (link to article on global re-location of call centrers)

  We will also distribute copies of a booklet - In Global Circulation: Life
  and Struggles in European Call Centres - that Workers' Solidarity
published recently and that we want to distribute primarily among call
centre workers in Delhi. The booklet consists of reports from call
centres in Europe made by activists there, and descriptions of strikes
in some of those call centres.

  Please do attend the discussion and pass on this info to others.