[Reader-list] Kalyanji-Anandji get US award, Prashant Pandey

Prashant Pandey jumpshark at gmail.com
Thu May 18 12:34:28 IST 2006

Do you remember my  post regarding the song "Dont Phunk with my Heart". I
wrote about its instrumentation and how it uses a particular groove of  70s
Hindi film  music. It has a sound that we associate with a gaudy bar, gold
smugglers,a Helen(ic) figure dancing to a live western orchestra.Ok. if you
still cant figure out what exactly it is, think about RD Burmans' Dum Maro
Dum (Hare Rama Hare Krishna,Navketan,1971) (
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067183/   &
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hare_Rama_Hare_Krishna )
The song has a starting music. Like RD the same groove was perfected
by Kalyanji-Anandji in films like Don.(Chandra Barot, 1978) In a recent
interview  Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy the music director trio working on the
music of Farhan Akhtars' remake of Don admitted that it would be very
difficult for them to maintain the "cool" sound that Kalyanji-Anandji
created for the original classic. This "Cool" sound runs like the spine in
the song "Dont Phunk with my Heart".

Please read this article that I recently found.

Kalyanji-Anandji get US award

Faheem Ruhani
Friday, May 12, 2006  20:50 IST
DNA

Music director Kalyanji-Anandji will become the first Indian duo to be
awarded by the Broadcasting Media Inc (BMI), a body associated with
copyrights in the US.

The music director duo's song parts from 'Don' ('Ye Mera Dil') and another
from 'Apradh' ('Ae Naujavan') had been incorporated by the Black Eyed Peas
in their number 'Don't Phunk With My Heart'.

Music director Anandji, who survives the late Kalyanji, will be present in
LA on May 16 to receive the award. Strangely, the band never got in touch
with the music director for acquiring the song.

They directly obtained it from the label Sa Re Ga Ma. Recently, Black Eyed
Peas had been awarded Best Rapper at the 2005 Grammy Awards.

Says Anandji, "Of course I am happy and anybody in my place would have also
been happy. The award is important because it recognises and gives due
credit to the original creators of the song. I hope this award creates an
awareness about copyright issues in India, because so often songs in India
are used without giving the original composer any credit or royalty for it."

So, has he received any royalty for his compositions? "Not yet, but I am
sure it will come through soon. Since it is the first time, things might
take time initially." Anandji adds that it is impossible to not miss his
brother Kalyanji on the occasion. "He was older than me and I used to feel
safe under his guidance."

r_faheem at dnaindia.net