[Reader-list] Please JOIN pro-reservation agitation in Delhi

Shivam shivamvij at gmail.com
Mon May 22 20:15:13 IST 2006

I am the ghost of myself, Pankaj, and I am neither castist nor
casteist. I do think, however, that unlike the (Dalit) student who
wrote that email that I forwarded, I was born in relative privilege -
not in a small town but a state capital, and went to elite missionary
schools and an elite missionary college and am working in what the
email's author would call, and rightly so, "Brahmin Baniya media" (see
http://www.hindu.com/mag/2006/05/21/stories/2006052100290300.htm ).

The student who wrote that email started a youth magazine on caste
issues but his father developed cancer and a lot of money was spent on
his treatment. His father has passed away recently; the magazine shut
down as he had to go to his town for months to be with his father for
treatment; and he is now in debt of about Rs. 30,000. For these
reasons he has had to give up his MPhil and has taken up a job with an
organisation working on caste issues. He is part of a community of of
caste activists trying every day to convince you about the reality of
caste and social stratification.

Yes, his English isn't as good as yours.

Yes, I support reservations.

Best,
My ghost