[Reader-list] Please JOIN pro-reservation agitation in Delhi

Gitika Talwar gitika.talwar at gmail.com
Tue May 23 20:49:26 IST 2006

Dear Shivam

I am glad you wrote the email you did, especially since Pankaj seemed to
have trivialised the email you had forwarded earlier - trivialised by poking
fun at the language and not reading the message. Pankaj Jaaneman -- shoot
the message next time -- not the messenger.

Now coming to your point about the issue of caste based reservations. I am
wondering -- do they work? I am really really keen to know, have caste based
reservations done anything to really propel us towards ensuring education
for all. I am keen to know what the research shows.

I worry also that caste based reservations are the easy way out for a
government that does not want to really make changes in the education system
at the grassroots level.

I remember studying at the University with students who had did their
graduation in Hindi and now got into the university on reservations, but
were expected to study in English all of a sudden. I wondered how
reservations would help such bright candidates (they were fantastic at their
job - but they could not write their Masters exams, which were in English).

I am curious also - do caste based reservations ensure financial
scholarships? If not, then do only economically empowered candidates benefit
from being SC/ ST as well.

Still lost and wondering.

Gitika