[Reader-list] Re; Note from Bangalore

Nuaiman , nuaiman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 14:27:34 IST 2006

I was reading the article Zainab has written about Bangalore, particularly
about Thilagnagar, where I live for two months during my summer vacation and
was narrowly escaped from a communal clash between Tamilians, who are
rehabilitated in that area and Muslims, who have been living there for
generations. Most of the Tamilians in that area are lower class Dalits,
converted into Christianity. The tension was broken up because three Muslim
girls ran away with Tamilians and speculation started to spread saying that
those three girls were raped and was forcefully converted into Christianity.

The rehabilitation program was initiated a s part of govt's policy to
"manage the city" and "beautification of the city" and ironically became the
agency of communal tensions later. Still the people in the area are divided
on communal as well as regional lines. That is Kannada Muslims and Tamil
Dalit Christians.

Nuaiman
Hyderabad