[Reader-list] Reader-list] INDIA'S FIRST LOCAL INTERNET SEARCH ENGINE

Aman Sethi aman.am at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 01:06:34 IST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aman Sethi <aman.am at gmail.com>
Date: Oct 14, 2006 1:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Reader-list] INDIA'S FIRST LOCAL INTERNET SEARCH ENGINE
To: "t.ray at vsnl.com" <t.ray at vsnl.com>

Well,
as a frequent user of the "pages from india" section of google, i must
confess that i do find it useful - especially when hunting for things like
the "73 rd parliamentary amendment" or "national child literacy programme"
etc .. as it cuts out similar constitutional amendments / schemes that have
been implemented in other countries .. so if ure looking for anything that
has "national" in the search string - and there is a particular country u
have in mind - it does help ... so yes it is "utilitarian" in the narrowest
sense - ie it is of great utility ..

ofcourse the internet - its like so cosomopolitan, and open and
supra-national and stuff , so to tie oneself down to like just one like
nation when ure like looking for like information is like so totally uncool
... but yeah .. sometimes it helps.

on the otherhand - the guruji "about" section is poorly written - but who
cares ...and the company that owns it is   "Sequoia Capital India is a
Mauritius based Indian venture capital" fund - which means that the taxes in
mauritius are probably lower- so i dont think we need to get worried abt
wether this is a jingoistic tool to promote a "parochial" idea of india
...its  a business venture - and yeah so the india tag is an advertising
gimmick .. i dont think it deserves much heartburn ...

and the local search on guruji is not bad - i played google india against
guruji local for delhi and guruji worked better .. atleast it did for the
search string "delhi dentist"

Best
A.