[Reader-list] A little work for public Domain

Syed Yunus delhi.yunus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 12:45:53 IST 2006

...there have been many such programs now days who trying to catch
young idea champions...can any body help our dear friend Mr. laha

Qoating laha......

I am Rrivu Laha,
a second year cinematography student from film & television
Institute of India, Pune.
I responded to the advertisements posted by Pankaj Rishi Kumar,
KUMAR TALKIES inviting proposals from young/debut filmmakers for a
series of 5 short films on the theme of 'CONFLICT'
(around 5 1/2 min each; fiction, documentary or animation)
for the Public Service Broadcasting Trust ( www.psbt.org)

My proposal was selected,
and I was given to make a film with a Handycamera, not much other
equipment.
Since I was keen, I went ahead with my making and submitted a rough
cut.
Although I heard that PSBT and kumar talkies approved my rough cut,
no formal letter of communication has been made to me yet.

I had several student exercises and a shoot to attend,
returning from my shoot yesterday I am finding the news of telecast
of my short film on Doordarshan without my name or biography with
it.

if it is my proposal and my rough cut that has been approved by the
PSBT and KUMAR TALKIES, how come my name is not there against my
film?
How come I am not informed of its telecast?

I maybe a young and debutant filmmaker, but can my commissioning
editor decide to telecast or publicize my film without my name or my
knowledge?

What are my rights?
Where do I stand in this whole gamut of commissioning?
Who is the commissioner?
What are my rights against his?
Who is the funder?
Who has approved the telecast?

Where do I stand?

No payments have been made to me yet, my expenses haven't been
covered except a sum of Rs. 4500/- against research for the film,
and no notification of telecast has been given to me.

I wish clarification before any further publicity or telecast is
made of my film.

Rrivu Laha.

2nd year Cinematography
Film & television Institute of India