[Reader-list] Nortel Employee Replies To Taj Hashmi

NAEEM MOHAIEMEN mohaiemen at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 06:22:47 IST 2006

Re: My Comments on the Nobel Peace Prize for Dr Yunus
and Grameen Bank of Bangladesh

Not surprised to see that our honourable laureate of
disinformation is at it again. To quote from his
article:

"Is there a link between this award and Grameen
Phone's (Dr Yunus's cell phone company) partnership
with the Norweigian telephone company, Nortel? Do you
know that the Nortel has been siphoning off millions
of dollars to Norway without paying any income tax to
Bangladesh? And all of this money laundering is done
in the name of charity? What a shame, what a
disgrace!"

It would be expected of most informed members of this
group to know that "Nortel" is NOT a Norwegian company
(even though both starts with "Nor"^:). In fact it is
one of the well known Canadian hi-tech companies. It
amazes me that Taj Hashmi, being a long-time resident
of Canada, is ignorant of this fact. But this is his
familiar style - to start a conspiracy theory based on
made-up facts and outright lies.

Thinking about it, how convenient and clever is this
chain of disinformation:

(1) Norway awards the Nobel prize to Dr. Yunus.
(2) Nortel is a Norwegian business because it sounds
like it.
(3) Grameen phone partners with Nortel (is that
true?).
(4) Md. Yunus thereby peddles influence on the Nobel
committee members
(5) Because they are all suckers for Nortel's bribe.
(6) Therefore Dr. Yunus is a charlatan and does not
deserve the prize.

By the way, I am an emplyee of Nortel and wrote this
message from a Nortel-owned computer.

Mainul Ahsan
Ottawa, Canada