[Reader-list] Saints, New Orleans, Doctors

NAEEM MOHAIEMEN mohaiemen at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 06:35:29 IST 2006

2 more replies on the Yunus debate-- rebuttal to Taj
Hashmi & Jaffor Ullah.

Taj Hashmi,
Prof. Yunus "aint no saint" and he does not claim to
be one. But he is a pioneer in bringing money and
telephone to womenfolks of Bangladesh. Because of this
and the presence of NGOs bangladesh is not yet in the
grip of the fanatics, and the Bengalees has the
potential to rebound to a secular healthy life.
Because of the NGOs, girls/women still ride motorbikes
along the bank of tista!If Prof. Yunus's bussiness is
lucrative (charging 30% interest) Taj Hashmis can take
on him by charging lower interest rate, making some
money, and gaining much more respect as an added
bonus.

Dear Dr. Jaffor Ullah

Scenario : A Kabuliwala

I am sure you have acquired all the knowledge of
writing and seen the cruelty of world. I am sure you
are definitely a resourceful person. I like to be
straight to you that I need money. Its very important.
Unfortunately, I do not have anything to
collateralize. I just came to USA. Living with few
others in a crummy apartment in the gulf states. I
just obtained the driving license and after reading
your personal note on New Orleans Katrina disaster.
All Bangladeshi concerned of you. Many thanks to Allah
that you were safe but flood could not take your
DOCTOR title and you are still very resourceful in
every aspect.

Now, Imagine the people who lost everything still
trying for survival and to raise their children. I am
not in that situation but I am very much poor and like
to change my life. But I do not have any credit. I
just started to work in McDonald @ 8.00/hour And I
work only 36 hours. I have no credit and no savings.

As I walk around in New Orleans, I see devastation and
at the same time I see Opportunity. In French Quarter
when girl selling sex for their survival, I see
opportunity...., the property ... the business. Of
course ! not a sex shop bur a small convenient store
next to the Hospital and Dome. And I need about
100,000 including inventory.

Dear Doctor Jafor Ullah .
Now the question , I do not have money. Since you are
Doctor holding the similar title as Dr. Yunus, I
request please arrange me 100,000 dollar . I do not
mean your personal money but to arrange from your
credilibity and sale for my business.. perhaps you can
arrange fund at 7%. And I do not care you become a
kabuliwala and charge me 22% .

I see the opportunity. I see the potential in the
rubble...impoverished region. But I need the money I
do not mind paying 22 percent interest. I guess you
live not far from New Orleans. Please let me know if
you would consider arranging 100,000 on your credit
and collect 22% ?

Dilawar Hossain