[Reader-list] Requesting Open Discussion on "What is an Open Information Society?"

Fouad Riaz Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 23:54:12 IST 2007

Dear Sarai Readers Community,

I have always benefited from the open discussions being carried out within
the Sarai community. In order to identify key issues related to the
successful evolution of an Open Information Society, I would like to request
the community to engage with me in an open and general discussion on the
topic of "What is an Open Information Society"?

This would help me in developing a critical insight into the prospects of an
"Emerging Open Information Society in South Asia" that it is based on the
combined regional acceptance and experiences of "Openness" and
"Inclusiveness".

Kindly share your thoughts, point of views, references and quotes within a
possible discussion framework of:

1. What is an Open Information Society? Kindly identify a possible working
definition?

2. Share your thoughts on the evolution of an Open Information Society?

3. What is required to evolve an Open Information Society? Who are its key
stakeholders?

4. What are the pillars of an Open Information Society? Identify the
significance of each pillar within the overall OIS infrastructure?

5. What are the key features of an Open Information Society, how can we
establish indicators to measure the existence and impact of OIS?

6. What is the future of Open Information Society in South Asia?

7. What is required to initiate, manage and sustain participation of
stakeholders within the OIS process?

8. How can regional Open Information Society's be developed and composed
into a South Asian OIS?

9. How will a regional OIS affect the overall global Information Society
from the developing world?

10. Kindly share any general or independent thoughts on the subject.

* This is an open and public discussion, all inputs will always remain open
and available for everyone to benefit within the public domain.

Best Regards
Fouad Riaz Bajwa
Independent Writer and Researcher
Member BytesForAll Network
FOSS Advocate
International Free and Open Source Software Foundation
iFOSSF Website: www.ifossf.org