[Reader-list] Police stops screening of Jashn-e-Azadi

rashneek kher rashneek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 16:57:27 IST 2007

Dear Aman,

I wonder if you have seen the movie.You are grossly mistaken that the movie
is about Kashmir.If it was it would talked about Kashmiris(all of
them-gujjars,pandits,sikhs,shias,bakerwals and others)...go see it
again...among separatists also..it talks about just one fringe...the yasin
malik one...
if it is about freedom of speech,why did they disallow a section of people
from entering the hall when it was screened in delhi(IHC)..
Ponder again..see again..then write again..

Rashneek
ps;Anyone who thinks the other guy is a bufoon personfies his own insecurity
as one.

On 8/1/07, Aman Sethi <aman.am at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is rather interesting that most the threads that usually sustain
> beyond 2 or three desultory mails, are those that deal with the
> "hindu-mussalman" question. Even arguments that on the face of it dont
> seem to have much to do with the "Hindu-Mussalman" question,
> inevitably come down to it.  From there on, its a quick jump to
> "pseduo-secularists" vs hindutva wallahs.
>
> Kashmir, i suppose, tends to elicit reactions such as these - where
> every conversation about kashmir never remains "about kashmir" for
> particularly long. It lends itself to "larger questions" about
> "patriotism", "secularism and pseudo-secularism", "narender modi",
> "jhola wallahs", and of course, "the search for meaning" and "the
> nature of the state".
>
> Perhaps Sanjay Kak is trying to do just that  - to make a film that is
> about kashmir, and stays about kashmir.  And perhaps thats what the
> kashmiris refer to when they use that tragically over-used cliche,
> "all agreements should take into account the will of the kashmiri
> people." A conversation, a film,  a dialogue, a protest, that is not
> abt "tips of icebergs", and "symptoms of larger malaises".
>
> Ever freedom of speech/expression makes the same mistake-
> "This is not just abt the arrest of an art student in gujarat, this is
> about the larger issue of freedom of speech in this country."
> "This is not just about Sanjay Kak's film on kashmir, this is about
> the larger issue of freedom of speech."
>
> No its not.
>
> It IS abt the arrest, and it IS about Kashmir. If every act of
> censorship succeeds in diverting attention from the censored
> object/subject/article/film towards a big picture analysis of
> censorship, freedom of expression and the nature of the state, then
> censorship has accomplished its task.
>
> We are then left free to plumb the depths of our limitless
> imaginations in search of We's , "Us's, Them's, and Thoses.
> A.
> ps: The police ARE buffoons.  Really.
>

> On 8/1/07, Amitabh Kumar <amitabh at sarai.net> wrote:
> > The way I understand it.. 'nationalism and patriotism' are not so
> > bankrupt a phenomenon so as to be divorced of  'secularism &
> > liberalism'.
> > However, the figure of 'we' the 'suffer'ers in your argument is
> > interesting. Is it geographically bound or otherwise? Whats the
> > imagination of 'we'?
> >   Is it 'We' the Indians? Or 'We- The Hindu's"? Or ' We- Who hate all
> > religions but our own' or 'We- who only hate Muslims and Christians'
> > or ' We - who hate'  or  ' We-  In a bad mood today'?
> >
> > On 31-Jul-07, at 11:33 PM, Vedavati Jogi wrote:
> >
> > > india must be the only country on this earth where 'nationalism'
> > > and 'patriotism' are ridiculed ....i think this must be  the reason
> > > why we had to suffer at the hands of muslim & christian invaders
> > > for more than thousand years, moreover why this country was
> > > partitioned in 1947 !

Rashneek Kher
http://www.nietzschereborn.blogspot.com