[Reader-list] Police stops screening of Jashn-e-Azadi

Amitabh Kumar amitabh at sarai.net
Thu Aug 2 13:12:14 IST 2007

Aman , Rashneek,

If every act of censorship succeeds in diverting attention from the censored
object/subject/article/film towards a big picture analysis of censorship,
freedom of expression and the nature of the state, then censorship has
accomplished its task.'

I agree with the basic premise of your argument.

However, I don't think there is a diversion of attention taking place when I
( 'we' is a risky proposition to make) try and sift through events like the
Baroda fiasco or the recent incident of Sanjay Kak's film being banned...
it' s more like  WIDENING  your area of attention.
 Don't you think that the event should ideally stimulate you to question the
space and circumstances within which it takes place.. About the why's and
the how's that constructed it?

And since you have so accurately traced how the 'the threads' seem to be
formed, let me remind you that the discussion began with the Sanjay Kak's
film being banned and is NOT a critique on the film ( which we might reserve
for another time and space or continue. Depends on how many threads make a
carpet).

P.S Anyone who thinks the other guy is personifying his own insecurity by
calling someone else a buffoon is spending too much time playing snakes on
his/her cellphone (or is a cop)

--
www.amitabhkumar.blogspot.com