[Reader-list] Use Jihadis to resolve Kashmir issue & Jihad against USA, says Pak Govt., officia

yasir ~ yasir.media at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:32:47 IST 2007

Rashneek

I'm not sure how to reply to you, since you are using the usual
rhetoric to answer an analysed observation i made. I am not even sure
you understood what I wrote with the hammerhead reply.

Yes there may be a difference of perspectives. While I may incline
towards a number of them, in my mail the theoretical underpinning as
that within the Pakistan, US and Indian governments there are
competing ideas, lobbies, policies regimes - take your pick of concept
- it will suffice. If we accept this much than my email will seem more
digestable. The consequence is that we take Pakistan and the Pakistani
government and the Pakistani Armed forces ( or the US or the Indian
for the sake of concept) as 'simply' a monolithic entity which is also
at the same time an astounding threat - but rather organizations of
people which have differing and multiple agendas. That is, if there is
a jihadi and confrontatinal lobby within, there is an equally and more
dominant at the moment liberal/left/dovish/other lobby-alliance which
is waging its ideological war against the jihadi (under threat) idea.

You may not agree but Musharraf is liberal in his general outlook. he
may be authoritarian and may switch to hard rhetoric and actions which
are jihadi  and/ or nationalist in tone. An overview of past
editorials will confirm this, if you are in doubt. On the ground the
general opening up of cultural activities and media (however
contested) is a better argument.

The J-lobby however, which has recently been in the backroom, has been
pushing and shoving throughout. My email, so Rashneek, pointed out
that Musharraf beset to some extent by internal opposition (Supreme
Court, Taliban-Waziristan, etc), while taking pressure to perform (re
Taliban) from the US, with recent statements about US forces landing
in Pakistan, pulled off an effective policy-perceptions exercise, by
not going to the Kabul Jirga, issuing statements of islamic-national
solidarity ( re Major Tanvir - the subject of the e-mail ), talking
about declaring an Emergency in the country ( as the J-lobby would
like in addition to taking a confrontational stance to the US) which
would have been a desperate attempt to curb political opposition as
well as from the Supreme Court, having Choudhary Shujaat take the
blame for suggesting the emergency (thereby satisfying his right wing
support) and later negating it - having come back full circle.

No India oe Kashmir does not figure in this very much.
I dont know about the land of genies or paris but no, my words do not
betray me.

best