[Reader-list] Clarification on the matter of allegedly Cancelled Screenings

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 19:13:21 IST 2007

Shuddha

  Are you naive enough to except the college to give you any confirmation in writing other than a vaguely worded statement.

  The Principal is in any case blatantly lying. Let's forget for the moment about Ashok Pandit's film, but wasn't the screening of Sanjay Kak's film cancelled too. I thought all the furore was over the Police having effected that.

  If it is so, what credibility does the Principal have when he/she states "....fully within their rights to show or cancel any film screening without having to be accountable to any
individual or body....." Isnt the Police a "Body".

  Shuddha, why dont you also tell us the wording of the clarification you sought from the College. It might tell us what kind of questions you asked and the slant of those questions that might have forced the College to give a vague answer.

  If there is sincerity in establishing the facts (to some extent) with an unbiased frame of mind, Kamla Nehru College should be asked a few simple questions:

  1. Was there a request Booking for Ashok Pandit's film on a particular date and time (by whosoever claims they had Booked it)

  2. Was that Ashok Pandit film scheduled to be shown? If not, why not?

  3. If yes, was it subsequently cancelled? If yes, who cancelled it (and maybe why)?

  4. Was  a Sanjay Kak film scheduled to be shown?

  5. If yes, what date and time?

  6. Was that subsequently cancelled? If yes, why?

  Only the answers to all of these questions (and intelligent deductions) will establish some measure of "truth".

  Kshmendra Kaul

  Shuddhabrata Sengupta <shuddha at sarai.net> wrote:

Dear All,

This is just by way of clarification of something that has disturbed
many on this list, because it also involves an attack on the character
and reputation of a person.

A particular posting, made by Rashneek Kher got RIK screening Cancelled> made on the 25th of August said that
Ashok Pandita's film was cancelled after being confirmed for screening
at Kamala Nehru College, allegedly at the behest of Sanjay Kak.

On being requested to provide a clarification regarding this matter the
faculty in charge of Wide Angle Film Society and the Principal of Kamala
Nehru College have communicated to me that -

"The Wide Angle Film Society of Kamala Nehru College was not prevailed
upon by any individual or individuals to schedule or cancel any film.
The college and Wide Angle Society are fully within their rights to show
or cancel any film screening without having to be accountable to any
individual or body."

This clearly indicates that the charge made on this list against the
person concerned (Sanjay Kak), that he used 'connections' to stop a
screening and arrange one of his own film is unsubstantiated and
baseless. I knew this for a fact as early as Friday, but wanted to wait
until I have a formalcommunication with the relevant people concerned in
Kamala Nehru College before making any statements in this regard.

I think communications of this nature are serious attacks on the dignity
of this list and its members, and I hope that everyone will join me in
insisting that list members desist from such all such allegations and
attacks, in the interests of a healthy climate of freedom of expression
that we all enjoy on this list.

regards,

Shuddha