[Reader-list] CPI(M) culture

hpp at vsnl.com hpp at vsnl.com
Tue Aug 28 16:56:50 IST 2007

Dear Friends,

In case anyone was unaware, here is a news report (from today's Telegraph)
that illustrates well the prevailing CPI(M) culture of West Bengal!

Inquilab Zindabad!

V Ramaswamy
Calcutta
cuckooscall.blogspot.com

      Ex-MLA urinates on lady & minister
      OUR CORRESPONDENT
      Malda, Aug. 27: A former CPM legislator grabbed a la- dy army officer
on Darjeeling Mail last night and apparently urinated on her.

      A couple of hours before, a sloshed Prakash Minj allegedly took a leak
on civil defence minister Srikumar Mukherjee, who was also in the AC II-tier
coach.

      The minister called police, but did not file a complaint. Major Minta
P. Devgan did.

      The four-time MLA from Phansidewa was pulled out of the train at Malda
station.

      Amal Sinha, a contractor accompanying him, was also arrested. But they
were released on bail later.

      Major Devgan and her husband, Colonel Pankaj Devgan, who were
travelling together, are both posted in Calcutta. In the complaint they
filed with Government Railway Police in Malda, Minj was accused of
“outraging her modesty”.

      Mukherjee saw Minj grappling with the woman. His security guard said
he saw him have a pee while holding her.

      “It was nearly 11pm when I found a drunk man sitting on my berth. He
identified himself as a CPM MLA,” Mukherjee said.

      The guard, Mohammad Sofi, who was called to escort Minj back to his
berth, said he urinated in the minister’s coupe.

      A while later, Mukherjee heard a woman shouting for help. He saw the
former MLA with his arms around a woman in blue jeans and white T-shirt. “I
could see her struggling and rushed to pull him away,” said the CPI leader.

      Col Devgan jumped from his berth to the rescue of his wife. Although
the entire compartment was awake in minutes, it took half an hour to subdue
Minj. By that time, the train had pulled into Malda station and the minister
asked his guard to call the police.

      Sofi said Minj was hurling abuses at the minister. “The man said the
minister was from a minor constituent of the Left Front while he belonged to
the ruling party,” Sofi said.

      Swapan Dasgupta, the inspector in charge of the Government Railway
Police at Malda, confirmed that Minj was drunk.

      In the railway police lock-up this morning, Minj and Sinha were seen
polishing off a plate of rice and curry.

      The party dropped Minj as an MLA candidate last year. He declined
comment.

      Sinha said: “I consumed alcohol and went to sleep. I don’t remember
anything untoward happening on the train.”