[Reader-list] Re: Clarification on the matter of allegedlyCancelled Screenings

zainab zainab at mail.xtdnet.nl
Tue Aug 28 16:10:28 IST 2007

Dear all,

I am not sure what is happening here. I have not seen the movie that Sanjay
has made and hence I don't know what the content of the movie is. On this
note therefore Sanjay, can I request you to help me organize a screening of
your film in Bangalore? I would certainly like to see the film to
understand the context of this thread of conversation on the list.

A couple of things that have been on my mind with regards to this thread of
conversation. I have visited Kashmir and have also been to the Kashmiri
Pandit camps in Jammu. Undoubtedly, both sides are suffering as a result of
the ongoing conflict in Kashmir. But it appears to me that memory and
history is so strong that constantly, we are hearing the same rhetoric of
displacement. By putting this so bluntly, I do not mean to belittle the
trauma of displacement and the violence that the Pandits have suffered from
and the displacement that the Kashmiri Muslims are suffering from both
symbolically and actually. So, are our memories and histories so strong
that we will never communicate with each other? Is that possibility of
moving beyond our histories and memories so absolutely impossible? The
rhetoric of rape, torture and violence at the hands of Yasin Malik and his
cronies are not any longer good enough to justify the anger against the
film that Sanjay has made and the anger against Sanjay himself.

The other thought is about this discussion about freedom of speech and the
nation. The Indian state is as much guilty, if no less, of the violence and
atrocities in Kashmir. Why use torture and violence to keep a piece of
territory and group of people together? Why rig elections in J&K to install
some stooge of Delhi's as CM of J&K? Why send in the army in such large
numbers that it is disconcerting even for an outsider to breathe freely in
the Valley? What is this fear of disintegration? Can disintegration of 'the
nation' happen with the click of a finger? Is the 'Indian nation' so
fragile? Disintegration is likely when you force people to be with you
rather than give them a choice to decide. It is like my parents forcing me
to live with them at home and emotionally threatening me the possibility of
disintegration of the family. Despite all the tortures that the Modi
government inflicted on the Muslims in Gujarat, is there a single Muslim or
a single person talking of the possibility of Gujarat separating from
India? I ask once again, what is this fear of disintegration and who is
perpetrating this fear?

It is not about Shuddha and Jeebesh rising above the nation that gets them
to say the things they say. It is the belief that the nation is not the
primary social and determining force of our lives. It certainly is not the
primary moving force in my life and I would not want it to be. I do not
want the nation entering my house tomorrow and telling me to behave in
certain ways because otherwise, there may be disintegration. Those who
speak about the nation curtailing freedom of expression when there is
threat of 'disintegration' must speak for themselves.

Finally, to defend Sanjay's film by saying that he is expressing a point of
view is as much a lament as those who lament the loss of home and believe
this is good enough reason for a film not to be screened. It seems like we
are all becoming The State and The Police in one way or another.

Congratulations!

Zainab