[Reader-list] Freedom of Expression my foot!

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 07:28:56 IST 2007

Dear Sadia,
Sorry for the belated reply.I guess I could not
explain myself clearly.Kshmendra has articulated it
better than me.Anyways,I will try once more.
To take a rough analogy;all of us are traveling in a
boat.It does not matter really how we evolved into
it.The boat should prohibit any activity which may
sink it,isnt that logical?
Lets take the matter of Kashmir out of this for a
sec.Right now,lets just focus on this:Whether it is
justified by a nation to ban any kind of freedom of
expression on any pretext.You obviously think there
should be no checks on the freedom of expression.I
would say,as I did in my earlier email,that anything
which is contradictory to the essential nature of the
state,should be banned.I gave the example of Iran.I
will give one other example.Lets suppose there is a
monarchy in which there is hereditary
succession.Suppose someone starts preaching about
democracy in a monarchy.So yeah they will be jailed
etc.Its only after a revolution,civil war etc that one
can change the essential nature of a nation state.
Lets come to India now.Its a secular democracy.Now the
founding fathers of the nation wanted it to be so.Lets
consider two imaginary scenarios and you tell me where
freedom of expression will lead to in that scenario..
1. BJP-RSS-VHP  talk about making India a hindu state
and start giving inflammatory speeches about muslims.
2. Chief of army staff writes a book on the corrupt
politicians and argues how dictatorship is good for
India.He starts holding meetings and tries to build a
consensus that civilians are not fit to rule the
country and military should take over.He even starts
ad campaigns on TV.
I could give several such examples.The steps to my
reasoning is..
1.Anything which is contradictory to the essential
nature of state;the state will not provide a
constitutional procedure to let that happen.
2.The only way to bring about that kind of change is
civil war\blood shed.
3.If freedom of expression is provided in such a
scenario,it could lead to violence and in the extreme
case the change of the essential nature of the state.

If we still do not agree that the nation is justified
in curbing the freedom of expression in certain
cases,please let me know what you think.

You have talked about nation and constitution not
being divine ordained,of course its not;but I did not
get your point.What are you trying to say?Are you
pointing at the Caliphate and Shariat in place of
nation and constitution?If you are then again I would
say;the secular democratic nation of India should
suppress your freedom of expression.A secular
democracy is what I was born into and this is how I
want it to stay.Please note that this is not a moral
judgment on your stand,its just that I have chosen my
side.
You have also talked about"the current version of
nationalism being full of gas" I totally agree with
you.Nationalism to me is first and foremost an idea
that gives us certain freedoms,protections and
basically enables all of us to peacefully
coexist.Beyond that,I have no use for it.I am not an
"India Shining" or "mera bharat mahaan" kind of
patriot.Its not a judgement on those who are, but I
just want you to understand where I am coming from.
So I would support full freedom of expression on
anything that can be achieved without violating the
essential nature of the state.Even the constiution is
open for amendment.But the essential nature of the
state is not.
If there is anything else I have missed,please let me
know.
There is the specfic matter about "self determination
in kashmir".I will post on that later;time permitting.
regards
Rahul

=== message truncated ===