[Reader-list] Rape Victim ordered 200 lashes and prison by Saudi judges

Malvika Rawal chilledoutmirage at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 13:15:03 IST 2007

Hi all,

I am no sociologist but as a human being, I can say that we have no right to
condemn another human on the basis of how he/she refers to God. Today,
religion has become such a big issue for everybody but somehow, I fail to
understand why all this brouhaha

*Whether I refer to my God as Bhagwan, Allah, Christ or Wahe guru is
nobody's choice except my own, least of all, that of the state. The state
has no right to discriminate on the basis of religion and least of all,
sponsor genocides based on religious discrimination.*

The state's job is to protect the rights of people not take away the right
to life and the right to justice.
Whether it is Modi or the Saudi regime or any other for that matter, they
have flouted the basic principles of egalitarianism in a society.

In an ideal situation, we would say that all parties in a democracy will
advocate the welfare of the people, only the path of achievement would be
diferent. If anyone does otherwise, the media must bring it to the people
and help condemn it.

However, the situation is farr from ideal here. Where various political
parties raise issues to maintain themselves in public eye, create mountains
out of molehills just for their 15 minutes of fame. Issues like Nandigram,
the N-deal did not deserve as much attention and noise as was made out for
them. The people lusting for power let them become such big issues. This
gave them their satisfaction but cost the common man dearly, with life in
the first case and finances in the second case.

People lusting for power will not have public welfare in mind when they
speak of any issue but will have their own silly motives in mind. people who
have let religion, Nandigram or anything esle for that matter become such
big issues are as guilty as those who perpetrated the killings themselves.

The media also feeds this lust by giving them all the attention that they
want. We need to focus on the real issue and not the offshoots and mis
shoots of it. The method of presentation in news is often as if the news
reader is enjoying the plight of the victims.

24 hour news channels have not helped society anymore. Rather they have been
party in decay. Sensationalism is quite the rule of the day with everything
made spicy to attract public attention, unfortunately to all the wrong and
non useful things.

We as a society need to wake up to the fact that we have to learn to
distinguish between the real and the depicted picture. What is shown in the
news and told to us by the 'so called' leaders may not be the complete
picture. in fact, that may not be the picture at all. it may be an illusion
being created by them to fulfill their cheap lusts fro fame and power.

Issues being blown out of proportion more than once basically shows that we
the people are not able to take a stand on whether or not an issue deserves
so much attention. It is this inability that gives these people all the
incentive to go ahead and make us believe what they feel like.

We as the people would now have learn to distinguish. It only this
capability that will make us a better people.

Regards
Malvika

On 12/1/07, Partha Dasgupta <parthaekka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pawan,
>
> I think we strayed a bit from what Shuddha mentioned, that is that he's as
> against the overtness of the Saudi regime as he is against the Modi one.
> What I have been referring to is the opposition of state-sponsored /
> encouraged violence that has occured in Gujarat, Nandigram and now the
> POSCO
> incidents. The moment any government needs to take action through
> non-legal
> punitive action, it steps out of the system of checks and balances that
> the
> constitution places upon us which is criminal - all the more so since it's
> being done by the very people who are chosen by us to uphold the
> constitution.
>
> On the issue of Babri Masjid / the Ram temple would like to figure out the
> logic of 'going back to the basics'. If today we start pulling down every
> building place that was once something else and replacing it with whatever
> it was, we'd have to knock down the Konarak Temple and even the North
> Block
> and virtually every building. Extremely ridiculous, wouldn't you agree?
>
> In any case, I never subscribed to the thought that God resides in a
> building. Turning a structure from a mosque to a temple can not take or
> add
> God to that structure.
>
> I will not talk of 'secular' parties as all parties by the very nature of
> their existence are bound to their vote banks. On the other hand, I
> certainly stay far from the BJP that is tied by it's core to the RSS and
> Hindu ideology - which I believe is incorrect for a party with national
> dreams. And I saw the rath yatra in Delhi with the jingoistic slogans, and
> saw the BJP leaders in their double-speak when the court took up the Babri
> Masjid case. Typical politicians with forked tongues that mean nothing
> except public appeasement and dodging responsibility. However, the BJP
> fanaticism makes me distrust them.
>
> As for Kashmir, there is no one view, and each concerned party has
> different
> wants. Sure, I hear the shouts and I hear of the deaths and the pain. I
> hear
> the anger of people, each with their own bias and perspective. Do I know
> the
> 'ground reality'?
>
> No. Even if I went there I wouldn't as each 'group' in that conflict has
> become fragmented with different demands (that have changed over time,
> different 'truths' and different hates.
>
> Am not an expert on sociology, and certainly not on Kashmir, but I do like
> the idea of the killing stopping, a space to breathe and talk, and to
> resolve the issues one at a time through dialogue and not guns. Killing
> Yasin Malik, Bitta Karate is just another step onwards in the path of
> death.
>
> Sure, it's easy for me to talk as I've not been dispossesed by that
> [...]

Keep smiling, smile brings sunshine to your life