[Reader-list] Iconoclasm in Kashmir-Motives and Magnitude-V

rashneek kher rashneek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 09:17:46 IST 2007

JIA LAL KILAM –WHAT SHUDDA REFERS TO AND WHAT HE DOESN'T.

I had given a certain reference to this book in my previous
posting.Irequested Shudda to read this book so that he could know how
Birabar Dhar as
a representative of Kashmiris (both Hindus as well as Muslims) had gone to
Sikhs to seek their help to free Kashmir from the clutches of the Afghan
rulers.When Afghans came to know of this they took his daughter away to
Afghanistan and his wife consumed a diamond so as to escape their cruel
hawks.

Eventually the Afghans were defeated.The Sikhs wanted to bring down the
Shah-i-Hamdan mosque(which as you know was built after breaking a Kali
temple)but Birbar Dhar requested them not to do so.This I gave as an example
of how a Kashmiri Pandit tried to save his nation(Kashmir) from the clutches
of the ruthless Afghan kings.This also is an example of the religious
tolerance shown by Pandits who despite being brutally subjugated by Afghan
kings did not resort to religious bigotry despite the fact that they knew
that the mosque was a built on a Hindu Temple.

This was to make a point that unless Kashmiris acknowledge the role of all
those (irrespective of their religion) who fought for its sovereignty and
freedom the minorities would never feel or be a part of that movement.

Jia Lal Kilam's book"A History of Kashmiri Pandits" is his understanding of
history of a community of people who are today referred to as Kashmiri
Pandits.Our friend Shuuda gives three quotes from this book.He begins by
saying," Pandit Jia Lal Kilam's 'A History of Kashmiri Pandits'
Even Pandit Jia Lal Kilam, who Rashneek Kher refers to approvingly, does
not offer a substantively different conclusion from what I am saying. I
offer below a set of 3 quotes from his book. (edited by Advaitavadini Kaul)"

In Shudda's opinion Jia Lal Kilam and he are more or less saying the same
thing.He gives 3 qoutes wherein he tries to prove that subjugation of
Pandits/Brahmans had taken place far before Islam came to Kashmir.OK Taken
Sir.Does that mean it is thus right to keep continuing that subjugation or
persecution.

Well that being true I am giving below from the same book references (not 3
but almost 50) to show the kind of atrocities which were inflicted by most
Muslim rulers (with a few exceptions) on the non-Muslims.This is not to say
that Muslim people participated in these orgies of death and
destruction.Even among the mayhem that was let loose by these cruel kings on
their subjects especially non-muslims there are instances when Hindus
supported Muslims and vice-versa.Please be kind to read the following
references from the Jia Lal Kilam's "A History of Kashmiri Pandits"This
shall clearly explain how religious persecution and iconoclasm was directed
towards non-Muslims.Examples from pre-Islamic era will look like minor
skirmishes when one reads through these references.

JLK:Jia Lal Kilam

1. pp 24-25,JLK,cross ref:Pir Hassan Shah,Vol1,p 495

Zul-chu ordered a massacre.Thousands were killed,more were sold as slaves to
Tartar merchants…………….Zul-chu or Durl-chu took about 50,000 brahmans with
him as slaves.

2.pp 30---,JLK,

The king in order to break the upheaval amongst the Hindus, turned his
attention towards their temples which must have provided a meeting place for
them.Hassan the Kashmiri historian says that almost all the temples in
Srinagar including the one at Bijbehara were greatly damaged.

3.p 30,JLK

The methods adopted by Sikander in this behalf may well be given in the
words of Hassan.After having described the great homage paid by Sikander to
Mir Muhammad Hamdani,at whose bidding he constructed a khankah,known as
Khankaha-i-Maula,on the site of an old temple called Kali Shri,Hassan says
*"this country possessed from the times of Hindu Rajas many temples which
were like the wonders of the world.Their workmanship was so fine and
delicate that one found himself bewildered at their sight.Sikander goaded by
feelings of bigotry destroyed them and leveled them with the earth and with
their material built many mosques and khankahs.In the first instance he
turned his attention towards the Martand temple built by Rama Deva on Mattan
Karewa.For one full year he tried to demolish it but failed.At last in sheer
dismay he dug out stones from its base and having stored enough wood in
their place set fire to it.The gold gilt paintings on its walls were totally
destroyed and the walls surrounding its premises were demolished.Its ruins
even now strike wonder in men'd minds.At Bijbehara three hundered temples
including the famous Vijeyshwara temple which was partially damaged by
Shahab-ud-din were destroyed and with the material of the latter a mosque
was built on its site a khankah which is even now known as Vijayeshwar
mosque"*

4.p 31-32,JLK,cross reference Pir Hassan Shah,Vol 1,p 180

Gruesome conversion of Hindus,their conversion,burning of six maunds of
sacred thread,see how many brahmans embraced death rather than
convert.Booksthrown into Dal.

5.p 33,JLK, cross reference JC Dutt pp 65-66,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II p 186

6.p 34,JLK,cross reference Sufi,G.M.D Kashir Vol 1,p 89

7.p 36.JLK,cross reference Dutt,JC pp 67-68

8.p 49JLK, "During Haider Shah's reign Pandits suffered immensely"

9.p 50,JLK,cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol 2,p 20

10.p 50,JLK,cross reference ,Dutt JC,p 188

11.p 50,JLK,cross reference ,Dutt JC,pp 195,196.

12.p 57,JLK,cross reference ,Dutt JC,p 261.

13.p 62,JLK, cross reference ,pandits being targeted

14.p 62,JLK, cross reference ,Fauq,History of Kashmir

15.p 62,JLK, cross reference ,Fauq,History of Kashmir

16.p 65,JLK,cross refernce,Dutt,JC,p 348

17.p 66,JLK, cross reference,Dutt JC,p 353-54

18.p 67,JLK,cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah Vol II,pp 273-74

19.p 69,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II p 332

20.pp 89-90,JLK cross reference,Fauq,History of Kashmir,p 91.

21.p –90-91,JLK,Muhatta Khan's looting,killing and maiming of Hindus,Burning
of Houses and other atrocities…. cross reference…Fauq ,History of Kashmir

22.p92,JLK, cross reference,Pahalwan Ananad Ram,History of Kashmir

23.p 109,JLK, a popular verse describing the condition

24.p 123,JLK, cross reference,Fauq,History of Kashmir

25.p 125,JLK, cross reference,Fauq ,History of Kashmir

26.p 125,JLK, cross reference,Anand Ram Pahalwan,History of Kashmir

27.p 126,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol-II p 669

28.p 126,JLK,cross reference,Kachru Birbar,History of Kashmir

29.p 131,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah, Vol II,p 673

30.p 131,JLK, cross reference,Pahalwan Ananad Ram,History of Kashmir

31.p 134,JLK,read about Haji Karim Dad and his atrocities on Pandits.

32.p 135,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II p 684

33.p 135,JLK,a supplement to Narayan Kaul's History of Kashmir by Anand Ram
Pahalwan.

34.p 135,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah Vol II p 684.

35.p 141,JLK, cross reference,Fauq,History of Kashmir.

36.p 142,JLK, Azad Khan's appetite for Pandit blood.

37.p 149,JLK, cross reference ,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II,p 696.

38.p 153,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II,p 701.

39.p 154,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II,pp 699,701

40.p 154,JLK, cross reference,Kachru Birbar, A History of Kashmir

41.p 154,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II p 701,

42.p 154,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II p 701.

43.p 155,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II,p 701.

44.p 155,JLK, cross reference,Fauq,History of Kashmir, also Kachru Birbar,A
History of Kashmir.

45.p 166,JLK, cross reference,Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II,p 732.

46.p 166,JLK, cross reference, Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II,p 732.

47.p 173,JLK, cross reference ,Fauq,History of Kashmir

48.174,JLK, cross reference ,Tarikh-1-Awam-i-Kashmir.

49,p 177,JLK, cross reference, Pir Hassan Shah,Vol II,p 748

These references stated above should serve as an eye opener to people like
Shudda who try and compare Iconoclasm and Religious Persecution in  pre-Islamic
era to that of Islamic era.

I have never stated that the Kashmiri Pandit is timeless victim but at the
same time can any one refute the evidences (mostly by Muslim Historians)
which stand as a testimony to how barbaric foreign rulers(the progeny of
whom today seek independence in Kashmir) resorted to brutalities against the
native populace of Kashmir.How they left no stone un-turned to convert all
of us to the only "true religion".In all this I pay glorious tributes to
kings like Zainaul abidin,Akbar and Shah-Jehan who ruled Kashmir without
bias.

Conclusion:

While I agree with Shudda that Islam does not alone have a monopoly of
religious intolerance,in case of Kashmir most of the Muslim rulers were
bigots,extremely intolerant and conversion or subjugation topped their
agenda.We cannot but miss the fact that in pre-Islamic Kashmir (for which we
have written History) of around 3500 years we have 4 instances,OK 7
instances of iconoclasm(to keep Shudda happy) and none of religious
persecution at the hands of kings(Hindus,Hunas,Buddhists,Nagas,Kushans)
while as in the 450 odd years of Islamic rule we have more than 100 such
instances( most recorded by a sizeable number of foreign Muslim Historians
with pride).I alone have have given you 50 from just Jia Lal Kilam's book
and many more in the second chapter.

So matter how hard Shudda tries he cannot refute truth, that too,when the
odds of historical evidence are heavily stacked against what he is trying to
prove.

I do have word about Shudda's arrogance about his scholarship on Kashmir
(the bonafides of which have been unproven here).Even in victory be humble
my dear friend.I admire you as a scholar but to think that everyone else is
half baked just because they cannot find the time to sit and take out
references is overconfidence falling over.Here I have shown that we have
what it takes to take on self-styled authorities on Kashmir like you and
your ilk.And please understand you will never and I dare to use the word
never know as much about Kashmir as any Kashmiri would not because of your
scholarship but because when you are born in a certain land you learn so
many things unwittingly.There are so many phrases and idioms in the language
that tell us of our past,the bedtime stories are a world of knowledge which
no book of history can suffice for.The vakhs and shrukhs that ordinary
people on the street quote tell us about the socio-cultural aspect of the
age when that vakh/shrukh was written.When for instance Gulzar Ganai sings
Shams Faqir's couplets on Lal Ded ,in just one couplet sometimes he covers
relationship between Nun Rishi,Shah-i-Hamdan and Lalla.No matter how hard a
scholar tries he will never know or understand more than a son of the
soil.So please stop playing an authortity on Kashmir's History and
Past.Iknow of so many Marxists who write about Kashmir without really
knowing even
the basics.Now that you have read Rajatarangi you have just joined the
pre-school.Be born again, in Kashmir to know it.

When a Kashmiri Muslim writes or pens down something even if I am in
disagreement with him/her I really feel that yes he/she may have a pain of
losing someone,or a house or a relative who's missing.No matter how
exaggerated his presentation may sometimes be his emotions still deserve and
command our respect and empathy.A Kashmiri Muslim is a sufferer like his
Pandit brethren and needs to be heard for his pain lives in us but when
people who have nothing at stake take positions about which they have little
or no idea it irks me no end.They simply feed their own souls by thinking
they are playing the under-dog's advocate.

As for your sermonizing as what we should to please try to practice what you
preach.

Never under-estimate your adversaries, my friend.This couplet from one of my
favourite Urdu poets' Allama Iqbal shall subtly convey the message to you as
well as Pawan Durani

"Nau med na ho in se ai rahbar-e-farzana,Kam kosh to hai lekin,be zauq nahe
rahi"

Be not despaired of these,limousine liberals oh my friend Pawan Durani,poor
in means,we maybe,but aren't poor in passion and zest.

So Shudda,In case you wish to engage in another scholastic discussion on
Kashmir you are most welcome to do so.

Merry Chrsitmas!

Rashneek Kher

--