[Reader-list] VN, Poems, Mumbay

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Mon Feb 19 10:56:06 IST 2007

Dear all,

I'm doing a few poetry reading/performances from my work in Mumbay, in February and March.  Here's the lineup:

Wednesday, February 21: Chauraha, NCPA  (See below for full announcement)

Sunday, February 25: At Kitab festival, Prithvi Theatre, 2pm: Short (15 mins) reading with three other writers-- Jackie Kay, Jane Bhandari, and Arvind Krishna Mehrotra.  Part of all-day poetry readings at Prithvi.

Saturday, March 10: Full length reading/performance for PEN at Prithvi, Prithvi Theatre; more details to follow closer to the date.

Universal Beach
English Poetry Reading
Audio Visual Room
Wed. 21st – 6.30 pm

This is a CHAURAHA presentation.

Vivek Narayanan will read and perform poems from his first collection, Universal Beach (Harbour Line, 2006), as well as poems from his second collection in progress, entitled Lectures in Indian History.

Born in Ranchi in 1972, Narayanan grew up in Zambia, studied in the US and is currently based in Delhi where he works at Sarai-CSDS. His poems have appeared in various Indian and international journals and anthologies.   Writes Ranjit Hoskote of his book: 'Vivek Narayanan's poems remind me of a thriving port-city, where diverse tongues are spoken, their registers varying from a priestly classical to a piratical demotic… And then there are moments of luminosity, when the word becomes the bearer of hope and redemption. Not by offering us a spurious clarity, but by challenging us into insight with a jaggedness of phrase, a treacherously ambiguous grammar, and a demanding musicality.'