[Reader-list] [Announcements] Legal Aid Cell

Madhumita Puri madhumita.puri at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:04:04 IST 2007

*The Society for Child Development announces its new initiatives:*

* *

*Legal Aid Cell*

*Online Legal Aid Cell *

*(at the Disability India Network website www.disabilityindia.org)*

*The Need*

Problems faced by persons with disabilities are varied and complex and need
appropriate intervention to resolve them. As is known, the most popular and
conventional mechanism of dispute settlement is the Judiciary. Experience
shows that the judicial process although effective, in most cases is time
consuming and expensive. While it is acknowledged that certain cases need
judicial intervention due to the nature of the issues involved, a large
number of cases can be settled amicably outside the Court through
alternative means of dispute resolution (ADR), i.e., negotiation,
conciliation and so on.

ADR cells in other parts of the country have been very successful. Ms
Anuroopa Giliyal, the Coordinator of the proposed cell has had four years of
experience in running similar cells in Bangalore. While bringing the same
experience to Delhi, the Society for Child Development has started a legal
aid cell, an exclusive initiative to resolve problems of persons with
disabilities. At the cell, apart from facilitating settlement, we also
provide legal opinion and legal representation in cases where judicial
intervention is the best option.

Although, we offer services to all persons with disabilities, primary focus
will be on persons from economically backward groups and persons with mental
disabilities (mental retardation and mental illness) and their service
providers and care givers.

*Online Legal Cell*

* *

Further, as part of the legal cell, we also have started an online legal
cell on our fairly popular website
www.disabilityindia.org<http://mail.google.com/mail/www.disabilityindia.org%20>where
legal opinion is provided free of cost. The best feature of the cell
is that it is exclusively for persons with disabilities. At the online cell
we respond to all the queries from all over the country on various issues
relating to disability.

*Functioning of the Cell*

The legal cell will function five days a week between 10 a.m – 1 p.m at the
SFCD premises at M 63, Ground Floor, Lajpat Nagar II, clients will be seen
with prior appointment. The phone number is 4172 7004 and the person to
contact is Ms. Anuroopa Giliyal.

<announcements at sarai.net>