[Reader-list] The Ghost of the Middle Ground 2

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Jan 2 14:10:47 IST 2007

(contd. from previous posting)

The middle and lower depths of the middle ground

If Barkha Dutt occupies the high, sophisticated end of the 'middle
ground', others, such as Sudheendra Kulkarni, Suhel Seth, Tavleen Singh,
Sandhya Jain occupy the middle and lower depths of what is wont to
describe itself as 'reasonable behaviour'. These ladies and gentlemen
have spent a lot of their time and energy venting their sorrow and their
anger in different publications and fora (Indian Express, Asian Age,
Pioneer, CNN-IBN) in response to the publication of '13 December: A Reader'.

The Pioneer (13,12,2006) for instance, in a report on the book release
of '13 December : A Reader' likened the views of those associated with
this book to the recent holocaust deniers in Iran (notwithstanding my
stated position, for instance, as being totally opposed to what I think
is the crypto-fascist, and anti-semitic character of the current
Islamist regime in Iran, whose defence by sections of the Indian left I
find completely cynical and hypocritical).

Tavleen Singh ('Arundhati's Gimmick, Asian Age, 23 December 2006)
grudgingly admits that there may be a point in ensuring that Mohammad
Afzal need not hang, though she doesn't tell us why she is 'convinced
that he is not the mastermind or even one of the main plotters of
December 13'. In the same breath, she wants Arundhati Roy and her
colleagues who have contributed to 'December 13: A Reader' deported for
saying the same thing. The only difference between her position and that
of Arundhati or of the other contributors to the book is that we are
also asking a set of questions that Tavleen Singh finds 'outrageous',
'sick' and 'vicious'. If, like Tavleen Singh, we admit that Mohammad
Afzal is not likely to be the mastermind of December 13, we have to ask
why there is such an effort being made to show that he is - to forge,
hide and manufacture evidence, and to stonewall the demand for an
enquiry. Our suspicions about the nature of the involvement of agencies
of the state, and the consequent 13 questions, do not emerge from
anything other than the suspicious way these agenices have been working
overtime to manufacture an account of December 13 that is so ridden with
holes and inconsistencies.

In other words, if we have doubts about Mohammad Afzal's role, it is
only natural for us to have doubts about the motivations of those who
have been busy trying to write the script of that role over the last
five years. Why then should our asking questions about the nature of
that role lead to a demand for our deportation? Is it only because the
asking of the questions once again focuses attention on the kind of area
that Tavleen Singh, and others like her want us to look away from. Let
me return Tavleen Singh the favour of a suspicion about motives. Does
she have an agenda to distract attention away from the nature of our
questions? If so, we would like to know why?

The people who have spoken against Afzal Guru's death penalty have been
called conspiracy theorists (notwithstanding the fact that the judgement
of the courts in the case actually build upon and rely to a large extent
on an elaborate conspiracy theory, and base their indictment of Afzal,
circumstantially, and indirectly, through the charge of conspiracy, to
the effect that he is as culpable as those who actually attacked
Parliament on December 13, 2001). So our asking of a set of reasonable
questions is 'conspiracy theory', whereas the court's heavy handed
reliance on a theory of conspiracy is infallible objective justice.

Kehar Singh Revisited

Commentators such as Sudheendra Kulkarni have taken us (whom he too
calls 'extremists') to task for daring to suggest a parallel between the
fates of Mohammad Afzal and Kehar Singh.

[See 'If December 13th Was'nt an Act of Terror, what was it?' by
Sudheendra Kulkarni, Indian Express, December 17, 2006
http://www.indianexpress.com/story/18739.html ]

His argument is that some of us are not just content to criticize the
dispensation that was around when his leaders (Messrs. Vajpayee, Advani
& Co.) were in power, but actually have the temerity to suggest that
even the trial of those accused of conspiring to assasinate Indira
Gandhi, was in fact, to a large extent, a 'show-trial'. Kulkarni is
right, a reference to Kehar Singh's hanging in tandem with the
controversy around Afzal Guru, indicts the Congress regime in that case,
just as the circumstances of December 13 indict the BJP led NDA

Sudheendra Kulkarni's actual intent is to spin the issue around an NDA
versus UPA axis. But we are clear that this is not an NDA versus UPA
game for us. Most of those who are involved in publicly taking positions
on the matter of Afzal Guru's execution are willing to be made to play
that game. Perhaps this causes some discomfort to those who, like
Sudheendra Kulkarni, would like to see this issue played out on a purely
'anti-NDA, anti BJP' pitch. Sorry gentlemen, we are not interested. The
game you offer us is a very boring one. We are not so obsessed with the
depleting fortunes of a political tendency that is as morally bankrupt
and bereft of ideas as the BJP that we feel the need to try and cosy up
to its opposite number in order to carry the day. We have neither the
need nor the desire to become tools in the hands of the current ruling
party or their parliamentary allies in order simply to discredit their
predecessors.

We are interested simply in talking about the structural issues that
have been revealed by the December 13 trial. These structural issues
have to do with the nature of the judicial process and the manner in
which the so called 'war against terrorism' is being played out,
regardless of who happens to be at the helm of affairs. They are not
about whether one likes or does not like the BJP or the Congress or the
so called Parliamentary Left, or even about how the the matter of
Afzal's sentence plays out in the context of the forthcoming UP elections.

I do think that the retention of capital punishment in any society
allows for systemic distortions that express themselves in moments of
crisis through crystallizations of the demand that someone or the other
be 'sacrificed' in order to restore the public perception of the
vitality of a morally bankrupt state. I do not think our courts, or any
courts anywhere, are infallible, and I think that the so called
'collective conscience of society' that the courts gesture towards while
mandating someone's death are flimsy, provisional constructs that are
vulnerable to pressures and anxieties of various kinds, not least of
which include those emanating from large sections of the mainstream media.

For the benefit of Sudheendra Kulkarni, the positions taken in the book
are not actually as extreme as he wishes them to be seen to be. At least
with regard to the reference to Kehar Singh, we happen to be in moderate
and respectable company. Even Justice M. L. Tarkunde, a respected jurist
and former judge of the Bombay High Court (whom no one can in any right
frame of mind accuse of 'extremism') is on record for having said that
"The evidence against him (Kehar Singh) was so meagre that it would not
support, as the saying goes, the hanging of even a dog." Those who might
doubt my word on this matter are advised to refer to an Amnesty
International report titled 'India: The Death Penalty' published by AI
(London) in October 1989 (AI Index ASA 20/13/89) where this statement is
cited in print. I am merely saying that I hope we as a society are
spared the predicament of having to condone once again, (in the case of
Afzal) the hanging of someone, against whom the evidence was so meagure
that it would not be in a postion to support even the hanging of a dog.

'A Clique of Liberal Leftists'

We have been called, 'a clique of liberal leftists with no constituency
beyond the seminar halls of Delhi and Mumbai', by the pioneer columnist
Sandhya Jain on a TV channel (CNN-IBN) in a report that subtly endorses
this point of view. Earlier, on October 5, CNN-IBN had reported that in
the matter of the argument against the death sentence for Afzal Guru,
the 'entire nation' was on one side, and a handful of NGO's, writers and
activists were on another. How the 'entire nation' got together and
informed CNN IBN of its decision on the matter is not something that the
channel has told us as yet.

This is the same channel whose senior editorial staff had spent several
hours entreating some of us, on the 12th of December, to appear
exclusively on their channel, or to 'dignify television with our
presence', in order to recompense for their complicity in airing a
clearly spin-doctored, so-called fragment of 'hidden camera' footage (to
which I will turn to later). I suppose had we all agreed to play the
part that was being scripted for us in the great ratings war between
CNN-IBN and NDTV, then we would have suddenly transformed ourselves from
a 'clique that has no constituency beyond the seminar halls of Delhi' to
a 'clique that has no constituency beyond the television studios of a
pair of punch and judy news channels'.

In the midst of all this noise we must remember, however, that what is
at stake here is someone's life, and also, importantly, an attempt to
demand a rigourus and honest account of what exactly transpired  on
December 13, 2001, and why South Asia was taken to the brink of war.
These are serious questions, and must be looked at seriously, not with
the nudge-nudge-wink-wink frivolity of a charmed circle of commentators,
publicists and intelligence agents whose consensus on matters of what is
called 'national security' is produced in the backrooms of Delhi's media
circus.

I might add here, that notwithstanding whether or not I think Afzal was
denied his constitutionally guaranteed right to an adequate legal
defence (and I do think he was denied that) my objection to capital
punishment is not solely to do with my dissatisfaction with the
judgement or with the merits of the prosecution's arguments in the case
of Mohammad Afzal Guru.

On Capital Punishment

For the benefit of anyone who might think otherwise, I am just as
opposed to the sentence of capital punishment that has recently been
awarded to ACP Tyagi (formerly with the Delhi Police) for his role in a
death that took place in police custody.

Here, I think that the facts of the case clearly bear out the position
that ACP Tyagi is indeed the primary culprit, and I do believe that
anyone responsible for a death in police custody ought to be punished
severely. Similarly, I have every reason to believe that Saddam Hussain
was a tyrant and a cold blooded mass-murderer, but that does not mean
that I agree with his recent execution, or the disgustingly voyeuristic
manner in which it has been exhibited international as well as Indian media

My condemnation of custodian death, murder, or political genocide need
not, and indeed does not  translate into a desire to see ACP Tyagi,
Sanotsh Singh (accused in the Priayadarshini Mattoo case) or Saddam
Hussain hang. This is because I do not think that any good, whether
preventive, deterrent, moral, ethical or compensatory can come from
deliberately taking a human life, even when the accused stands convicted
for a crime as heinous as custodial death. I am willing to argue this
out, but that is a separate argument which I am sure needs to be pursued
on another occasion - purely on the question of whether or not we should
as a society retain capital punishment. It would have been far better
had Saddam Hussain remained alive, and possibly had to atone for his
deeds in lifelong detention, preferably in the exclusive company of
other distinguished mass murderers like George Bush and Tony Blair. That
might have been a step towards justice in Iraq.

I mention this here only to say that my opposition to the death penalty
for Mohammad Afzal is  based not only on my reasoned belief that he did
not have an adequate legal defence at the trial court stage, but also
because I would oppose it even if he were in fact given the benefit of
the due process of a fair trial. Because I oppose capital punishment on
principle.

The Courage of Sabrina Lall

This is important, because, contrary to Barkha Dutt's charge that some
of us have abandoned the terrain of ambiguity, I would actually like to
insist that the ground I happen to occupy requires me on occasion to
defend the right to life of  even those, such as ACP Tyagi, or Saddam
Hussein, or Dara Singh, whose actions I personally consider abohorrent.
And that this defence is not constructed along 'pragmatic' or 'tactical'
lines.

As far as the execution of Afzal is concerned, I am not interested in
offering a consideration of whether or not Kashmir would go up in flames
as reasons for the commutation of a death sentence (though others, such
as A.G.Noorani have advanced this argument with commendable
sophistication). I have to say that on this point, and on this point
alone, I agree with Soli Sorabjee (who said in an NDTV panel discussion
that he happens to be anti death penalty generally, but is pro death
penalty, under the given circumstances, for Afzal - an exact mirror of
Barkha Dutt who happens to be pro-death penalty generally, but has now
discovered belatedly the virtue of an anti-death penalty position
customized to Afzal). I agree with Sorabjee that saying "don't hang
Afzal because Kashmir will go up in flames" is not unlike saying "don't
punish those guilty for the massacre of Muslims in Gujarat because
Gujarat will go up in flames".

If we demand punishment, we must be prepared to do so regardless of
local context, otherwise there would be no such thing as 'equality
before the law'. However, my reasons for arguing against the death
penalty have nothing to do with tactical or pragmatic considerations. I
am not saying that Afzal should not be hanged because otherwise Kashmir
would go up in flames, just as I am not saying ACP Tyagi should not be
hanged because this would sorely demoralize the Delhi Police which often
uses third degree methods in police stations, or that Saddam Hussein
should have been excused from his appointment with his hangmen so as to
re-assure future tyrants and mass murderers.

I take comfort, in these bloodthirsty times, when SMS messages calling
for public executions are broadcast live on television, from the
sagacity and maturity that has been demonstrated by Sabrina Lall, the
bereaved sister of the murdered Jessica Lall who has made a public
statement to the effect that she did not desire the death penalty for
Manu Sharma, her sister's murderer, because she does not believe that
his death would do anything to ameliorate her grief, and because she is
satisfied knowing that Manu Sharma has to suffer long years of
confinement, which in her view is a much greater punishment than death.
She goes on to say that the sentence of death punished only the family
and friends of the accused, not the accused himself, for his suffering
actually ends with death.

[See, "Life in Jail for Manu Sharma" by Tanu Sharma and Krishnadas
Rajagopal, Indian Express, December 21, 2006,
http://www.indianexpress.com/story/19058.html and 'I want Manu Sharma to
Suffer' by Shubha Shetty Saha, DNA, December 10 at
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1070152]

Regardless of the view that anyone of us takes on Mohammad Afzal's exact
role in the events of December 13, 2001, I wish that we could all have
the wisdom and the courage to display even a degree of the maturity and
compassion that I think is contained in Sabrina Lall's response to the
verdict handed down to her sister's murderer.

I hope that those who have spent a lot of their time, intelligence,
emotions and energy on television and print on the unrelated destinies
of  Mohammad Afzal and Jessica Lall in recent days might learn something
from Sabrina Lall's compassion and intelligence. There still might be
some hope for  the integrity and credibility of large sections of the
mainstream media if that were to be the case. I hope they take some time
now to listen, think and reflect on where we all have come today. And I
hope, for their sakes, that Mohammad Afzal lives.

Who Else Wants Afzal Dead?

Actually, the consequentialist argument (the one based on 'what will or
will not happen if Afzal dies'  theory)  leads to some very strange
bedfellows. if you examine the news carefully, you will find that it
isn't just the BJP and M.S. Bitta of the All India Anti Terrorist Front
who want Afzal dead as quickly as possible. There are reports of  a
number of jehadi groups in Kashmir, who have in fact demanded that Afzal
not be spared, precisely because this would mean that Kashmir would go
up in flames.

I quote here from a report available on the NDTV website - 'Afzal Must
be Hanged, Say Kashmiri Groups' by Sudhi Ranjan Sen and Fayaz Bukhari
which says

"...In a statement issued in Kashmir on October 2, Khalid Javed,
commander of Al-Umar Mujahideen said Afzal's hanging would actually
provide a fillip to the Kashmiri cause.Apart from the Hizbul Mujahideen,
Al-Umar is the only entirely Kashmiri group and is led by Mustaq Ahmed
Zargar, exchanged for IC-814 hostages.The same day, the
Jamiat-ul-Mujahideen said that by not pleading for mercy himself, Afzal
has become a hero to Kashmiri youth. Those pleading for mercy on his
behalf should leave Kashmir.On October 13, a lesser-known group, the
Yalgar-e-Ali, said in a statement that Afzal should be left to his fate.
His martyrdom would serve the cause of Kashmir."

[See 'Afzal Must be Hanged. Say Kashmiri Groups' by Sudhi Ranjan Sen and
Fayaz Bukhari, NDTV, October 26m 2006 - http://www.ndtv.com]

It these reports are accurate, then we have to take note of the fact
that it appears that as far as the desirability of Afzal's execution is
concerned , there is a remarkable concordance in the views of the
Supreme Court judgement on December 13, the BJP, the All India Anti
Terrorist Front, the special cell of the Delhi Police and Kashmiri
militant outfits such as Al Umar, Jamiat-ul-Mujahideen and the
Yalgar-e-Ali. Perhaps they should all get together and form what would
be a genuinely bipartisan 'All India and J&K Committee for the
Expeditious Execution of Mohammad Afzal Guru'.

This implies that I am acutely aware (as I am sure those of my
colleagues who have deliberated on the issue of Afzal's destiny with
seriousness also are) of the fact that none of us finds ourselves in a
zone where the categories of guilt, innocence, justice and consequence
are clear cut and self evident. One can say that a person one does not
believe to be innocent has had no oppportunity to avail of the
constitutionally guaranteed right of an adequate legal defence and that
this is in itself a serious miscarriage of justice. One can also say
that a person who has had a fair trial still should not be hanged,
because that too would, in a fundamental  ethical sense, be a
miscarriage of justice. Because there can be no greater  premeditated
violence than the premeditated violence of a judicially mandated death
sentence, which tells the accused the time and date of his execution,
and then leaves him captive to await the hour of his death. If
premeditated, cold blooded murder is the reason why a death penalty is
awarded, then how can we recompense for the premeditated, cold blooded
murder that is the death penalty?

Uncertainty and Ambiguity

The conceptual space where one can say these things is a zone of acute
blurs, uncertainties and ambiguities, where one has to hone one's
ethical intelligence and moral sensibilities against situations that do
not in fact deliver themselves in terms that promise neat, resolved
answers and the kind of sound-bytes that can be processed on 'breaking
news' , with 'whatever it takes' on '24X7' news television.

And yet, we have seen large sections of the mainstream media, and
responsible media figures leave no stone unturned in their attempt to
give their readers and viewers the impression that our efforts were
actually aimed at an erasure and an elision of all that was ambiguous,
complex and uncertain.

Had channels such as NDTV, which were present in large numbers at the
the public release of '13 December : A Reader' reported what was said on
that occasion with a degree of integrity and good faith, their viewers,
(and the readers of Barkha Dutt's column - 'The Third Eye' -  in the
Hindustan Times and on the NDTV website) would have known that some of
us did actually speak about ambiguities and uncertainties, and
contrasted them with what we called the 'terrible clarity and precision'
of the death penalty. It is instructive to think a little about what was
actually said that day. NIrmalangshu Mukherjee, a professor of
philosophy at Delhi university, and one of the contributors to '13
December: A Reade' opened the proceedings by talking about '13 December'
as a problem of knowledge. He talked about the fact that "we know that
we do not know" what happened on December 13.

The substance of my own brief statement on that occasion was actually an
appeal to the mainstream media to the effect that they only display a
degree of reticence and restraint commensurate to the complexities,
ambiguities and uncertainties involved in reporting issues like December
13. One of the things I asked for was due consideration of the modest
plea that the word 'alleged' always be used as a prefix to the word
'terrorist' in any report that highlights, in the wake of December 13,
yet another successful 'anti-terrorist' operation of the Delhi Police.
if anyone wants to check on what was actually said on that occasion,
rather than rely on what 'The Third Eye' thinks was said on that
occasion,  all they need to do is to watch the videos of the statements
that were made which are now available for public viewing on Youtube.
The quality of the soundtrack, unlike phone interceptions made by the
special cell of the Delhi police is quite clear, and you can actually
hear what is being said.

[ See http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=00iram for links to video
recordings of all the statements made and the discussions that occured
on the occasion of the public release of '13 December: A Reader']

I am listing this Youtube.com url to clear the air about exactly what
was said or not said on the book release of '13 December:A Reader'. As
for what has been written in that book, all you need to do, is to buy
it, or borrow it and read it to figure out for yourself whether or not
the authors are a bunch of intolerant, extremist individuals who are
'closed to debate' or whether they are a group of individuals asking a
set of important questions with a desire to open, rather than close the
debate around December 13.

(contd. in next posting)