[Reader-list] Ghost of the Middle Ground 3

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Jan 2 14:12:46 IST 2007

(contd. from previous posting)

Considering the words Innocence and Guilt

Several amongst us who have thought about this issue at length any with
seriousness, neither SAR Geelani, nor Nandita Haksar, nor Indira
Jaisingh, nor Mihir Srivastava, nor Arundhati Roy, nor Nirmalangshu
Mukherjee, nor Nirmala Deshpande, nor myself, have ever stated that we
believe that Mohammad Afzal is 'innocent'. Nor have we spoken about his
'guilt'. Afzal himself has talked at length about the extent of his
involvement in his statement given to the court under section 313 of the
Criminal Procedure Code (as distinct from the statements extracted from
him in police custody which are in any case inadmissible as evidence
under the Evidence Act, and do not even meet the requirements that were
thought necessary under POTA). We do not find it necessary to contradict
something that Afzal himself has said about the nature and extent of his
own culpability. We are simply asking whether the the culpability is of
a nature that enables a court to indict Afzal alone, and also whether it
is adequate, beyond even a grain of doubt, to necessitate a sentence of
death, especially when Afzal was not represented by a lawyer and when he
was not given the opportunity to cross examine the majority of the
witnesses who appeared against him in the trial court.. Neither of these
requires us to believe in, or to make statements about the non-issue of
Afzal's so called innocence.

Some of us have made statements (and for quite some time now) that
reflect our conviction (borne out by the acquital) that SAR Geelani was
innocent. Our statements about the purported guilt or innocence of
Mohammad Afzal have been made in public fora, (if and when they have
been made) and they are easily retrievable and read. Mohammad Afzal Guru
is not SAR Geelani, and our conviction about Geelani's innocence cannot
be automatically translated into a statement about Afzal Guru's
innocence that most of us have never made, without sleight of hand,
misrepresentation, or an unforgivable laxity in terms of what is called
a 'fact check' in the media business.

In fact it does not require us to declare that a man is innocent in
order to demand that an assessment of his guilt necessarily include a
consideration of who else may be wholly or in part share responsibility,
along with him, for the substance of his intentions and actions.

Guilt and Association

Even the court's verdict of Afzal's part in the 'conspiracy of December
13' is actually built on this logic.

[See http://openarchive.in/judis/27092.htm for the full text of the
Supreme Court verdict on the 13 December Case, sentencing Mohammad Afzal
to death]

The mobile phones found on the bodies of the dead "terrorists" indicated
that they knew Afzal. Afzal knew about what they were going to do, he
even helped them do it. Ergo, Afzal is a terrorist. Even if, and
especially if, we accept this line of argument, we have to take this
line of thinking to its logical conclusion. If one of the terrorists who
knew Afzal (the man called Mohammad) also knew, according to Afzal,
personnel serving with the STF, then that makes it necessary for us to
investigate whether or not the said STF functionaries were or were not
party to what is being called this 'conspiracy'. Afzal says they were.
Afzal says he knew Mohammad. The court (and the majority of media
commentators so far) accepts the second statement, but not the first,
thereby refusing to carry their own argument to its own logical conclusion.

  If Afzal is guilty, then a consideration of his guilt has to establish
whether or not the others he names, particularly STF officials like
Dravinder Singh (and others whom Dravinder Singh may be acting on the
orders of) are also quilty of induced or threatened him to act in the
way that he did.

Only once the exact chain of culpability is established  (who told whom
to take which person to which place to do what) can the guilt and
consequently, just and adequate punishment, be apportioned in a manner
that is not arbitrary. If Afzal is alone in this, then justice would
require that the punishment be his alone. If he is not alone, then
everything changes. If it is established that he was made to do what he
did under pressure or threat, then we get a different picture
altogether. Until this is conclusively decided one way or the other, all
judgements about guilt or innocence , should, in the fitness of things,
have been held in abeyance. Those of us who have spoken in favour of
Afzal's right to live have never said that Afzal is innocent, and we
have also never said that he is guilty. We have never speculated, like
the media at large has delighted in doing, on the quantum of his
innocence or guilt.

If what Afzal is saying about the involvement of the STF is true then
one of the things that is also likely to change is the meaning of the
term 'terrorism' as it has been deployed in this case. If what Afzal is
saying is true, then the word 'terrorism' would have to include in its
ambit actions done by agents of the state ostensibly against itself, in
the pursuit of complex tactical and strategic objectives. In other words
we would have to come to an understanding that 'terrorism' and 'state
terrorism', at least in this case, have been seen to be synonyms of each
other. Until a satisfactory conclusion regarding this matter is reached,
the automatic conflation of Afzal's purported guilt with his identity as
a 'terrorist', is only so much loose talk.

The majority of the media is unwilling to say that Afzal is innocent,
but they are more than willing to say that he is unqualifiedly guilty of
aiding and abetting 'terrorism'.  In fact it has gone to great lengths
in the last few months to try and establish the credibility of this
position.

Rather than harp on the non-issue of Afzal's 'innocence', most of us
have asked whether the circumstantial evidence that has been
demonstrated in court would be sufficient, even in an ordinary criminal
trial to hang a man, and whether a man can be hanged to death after it
has been demonstrated that he did not have an adequate legal defence. We
are not debating Afzal's guilt, we are questioning whether he is 'guilty
as charged', and this is an important distinction. Consequently, we have
consistently demanded that we, and everyone else in this country has a
right to know to what degree Mohammad Afzal was acting under orders, the
source of which, seem to point in several directions at once, including
in some instances the security apparatus of the state.

Until such time that these questions are comprehensively and
exhaustively investigated, the attempt to hang Mohammad Afzal and to
stall a possible enquiry into the events of December 13, has to be read
as an attempt to hurriedly ensure that the truth remains obscured.

The Ground We Stand On

We have stood our 'ground' in this argument without consideration as to
where our positions could be placed in the three step ('middle',
'higher' or 'lower') guide to 'ethics made easy' as seen on TV. We have
attempted to stay consistent to a reasoned scepticism (that has grown
over time) about an official version that is patently plagued with
inconsistencies. In fact, we have tried to think this through without
giving way to motivations that have to do with the 'emotional and
psychological satisfactions' that come from quick and easy answers.

The thought that the answers to  the enigma that is 13 December may lie
in places far more shocking than a simple, 'do-it-yourself' 'terrorist'
conspiracy can account for is as disturbing to us as it is to those who
accuse us of 'extremism'. We derive no comfort or smug satisfaction from
knowing that people have been tortured, or from suspecting that people
working within the intelligence apparatus and the security establishment
may have been playing a dangerous game which is only just beginning to
come to light. What disturbs us even more is the fact that so much of
the media and large sections of the political class in this country are
in a state of total denial, and are unwilling to countenance any
reasonable doubts of all that is disturbing about December 13.

The Ghost of the Middle Ground

This 'middle ground' in the case of December 13, that is so sure of
itself in the face of so much that cries out to be explained can only be
a ghost. It died a quiet death long ago, the day that so much of the
media started pushing police hand outs as 'news', it died again on the
day that no one from the mainstream media thought it fit to apologize
for the way in which they had printed and broadcast lies about SAR
Geelani, it has died a third time in this winter of our discontent. It
is the ghost of this middle ground, a hungry, bloodthirsty spectre,
lingering on years after the event, that we can see flicker and
beckoning at us through the fog of newsprint and pixels. The factories
that manufacture consent in this country today are haunted and possesed
by this ghost. The next time you see an anchor spin 13 December for you
on TV, or read a commentator make what they claim is a 'balanced'
assessment of the case on print, you should take care to notice the
rigour mortis in his or her style.

This brings me finally, to a consideration of the two 'specials' that I
have seen in the past few weeks on CNN IBN and NDTV India, which
promised sensational revelations to their viewers with regard to the
role that Mohammad Afzal Guru played in the events of 13 December 2001.
Let us take each of these in turn.

Decoding 'Decoding Afzal'

On November 27, CNN IBN aired a 'sensational' exclusive - a hidden
camera sting operation, in which Davinder Singh, STF officer, and
Afzal's brother - Aijaz speaks at length about the fact that Afzal was a
dreaded Jaish e Mohammad terrorist, and in fact close to none other than
the late and legendary Ghazi Baba. Davinder Singh admits to have
tortured Afzal, at great length, on more than one occasion, but then
says he let him go. He denies that he ever introduced him to anyone at
the STF camp who then turned up, a few months later, as a dead body in
the precincts of the Parliament.

[See 'Decoding Afzal: Truth is out there' a CNN-IBN 'Investigation' by
Siddharth Gautam, broadcast on November 27, 2006 -
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/decoding-afzal-truth-is-out-there/27156-3.html ]

What I find interesting here is the necessity to stage this as a 'hidden
camera' confessional. Why do I talk about the 'staging' of the so called
'hidden camera' segment? Davinder Singh talks extensively to a person
who is outside the frame, to his right. The camera is filming to his
left. Evidently, there are at least two other people in the room. In
other words, we are asked to believe that two people have entered a
space where a responsible officer of the most dreaded counter insurgency
unit in India is meeting them, without being body searched for concealed
weapons, or without their 'hidden camera' being detected.

The two (or more) people then proceed to have a lengthy conversation
with Davinder Singh,  over a cup of tea, where Davinder Singh admits to
a few crucial things, such as the fact that he knew Afzal, and that he
had in fact tortured him, months before the Parliament attack happened.

The Performative Epistemology of a Staged Sting Operation

  So, a certain degree of calibrated disclosure occurs. One of the
brothers, Hilal,  in another segment of this episode, says that he was
arrested with Afzal, but no laptop, on which so much depended, was
seized. So a degraded piece of evidence, on which so much of the
'circumstantial evidence' was based in the trials, is thrown out of the
window. Incidentally, the name of Hilal never figured in the
prosecution's arguments. But, another brother says, Afzal was a
terrorist. And so does Davinder Singh. And this must be true, because
they said this, on 'hidden camera'. And the 'hidden camera' like 'narco
analysis' and 'truth serums' only produces truth in the gospel according
to CNN IBN, because those filmed on 'hidden cameras' do not know,
ostensibly, that they are being filmed, so they reveal everything.

Thus, one way of coating a testimony with the sheen of truth is to
present it as if it were harvested by  a hidden camera. If we were to
the reasons why a functionary of the repressive apparatus of the state
might actually want to expose their 'vulnerability' in what is dressed
up (incompetently) to look like an encounter with a 'hidden camera', we
would not have to look much further.

I find this episode remarkable for its performativity. A torturer meets
a journalist (or at least two people with a hidden camera, a cameraman,
and the other off camera presence the torturer adddresses) admits to
some surprising facts, (which were not investigated for these five long
years) denies a few crucial ones. The aura of truth around the denial
actually consists of the fact that there is a counterweighted admitted
to some pretty surprising stuff in the first place, and that too,
ostensibly without the knowledge of the people involved. Stealth meets
stealth and produces a convenient set of 'truths'. So, no more need of
circumstantial evidence, inconvenient laptops, and mobile phones, we
have it from the horses mouth. Afzal says he was tortured, blackmailed
and forced to take some people to Delhi by the STF operatives, and these
men later stormed operative. The key STF operative, and Afzal's brother,
who also admits to have known the same STF operative, admit that he was
tortured, extensively, but deny the rest. Calibrated disclosure,
credibility and variety. When the 'deep state' encounters a crisis, as I
believe it has done with the 13 December case, it reveals some of its
depths, a few unofficial secrets act, only to ensure that our momentary
disorientation as a result of these revelation actually prevents us from
looking any further. The murky waters part momentarily, only to close
even more decisively after. The deep state just gets a few fathoms
deeper. Somewhere at the edge of the frame while Aijaz, the elder
brother sings his piece, we sometimes get a glimpse of a shadowy face.
It might be interesting to get some information on who this person is,
and what they are doing while a hidden camera is filming a 'top secret
sting' in an undisclosed location.

(contd. in next posting)