[Reader-list] First Kashmiri Digital Feature Film at IHC

Nishant nicheant at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 28 23:46:44 IST 2007

_________

The Habitat Film Club presents Akh Daleel Loolech (A Story of Love), the first Kashmiri digital feature film. It is subtitled in English. Please find the details below:

Akh Daleel Loolech
(A Story of Love)
Launguage: Kashmiri, with English subtitles
Duration: 80 minutes
Director: Aarshad Mushtaq
Music: Raja Bilal
Producers: Tariq Javaid, Tanveer Javid and S Y Firdous
Venue: Stein Auditorium, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi
Date: 29 January 2007, 7 PM.

About the Film:

Akh Daleel Loolech is a love story against the backdrop of late 19th century Kashmir when jagirdari (feudal) system and begaar (forced labour) was prevalent. The story weaves into its main plot, which is a story of a boy and a girl trying to cut across the class distinction and follow their dreams, a story of an agricultural village and its inhabitants battling hard realities of their survival.

Background of Kashmir Cinema

Ideas which shape the existence of a society is mirrored deep down in the psyche of its citizens and is shaped through various ways and means. These ideas have to be disseminated through different mediums of expression. In Kashmir we have not been able to explore the possibilities of multimedia to its fullest. The ideas that float around are usually lost in the dust of shooting starts circling the orbits around. The external influences are numerous but it does not mean that we lose our identity to them. The assertion has to start.

 Cinema has never found its roots in Kashmir when it comes to the language cinema, which would have been indigenous and mirroring the society. The need is felt for the initiative and this medium can have a positive role to generate it.

We might have missed the bus when the art of cinema began elsewhere, but it is never too late for us to make a beginning now. The non-existence of cinematic art or films in Kashmir does not mean that it should not be tried.

 Akh Daleel Loolech is a small attempt to grab the attention of the people instigating the brains in this field of art to come up with many more such   ventures so as to fill the void where there are no artistic impressions burnt on a film roll.