[Reader-list] Guru on the Air: 4th Posting

surya upadhyay surya_rajan21 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 15:18:10 IST 2007

Dear All,

Sorry for late posting.

The work has progressed and now a days I am collecting
data so that we could establish about the recent
changes in religious sphere especially in the context
of Hinduism.

Once again I want to mention that this particular guru
started collecting leity at around early 1990's but
his sphere enlarged once he got his satsang and
preachings aired on various cable channels. This
particular development took around 1998.
This was an advantage over records and audio cassette,
that  and it facilitated people to lsiten satsang in
different ways. In cassette or record, there is no
such advantage to get the variety. Also, cable cost
cheeper than purchasing a record or cassette. However,
there are lesser chances to record these satsangs but
but these  satsang records could be purchased from any
of the ashram spread all across North India.

I have talked at around 90 people in three different
cities and have found that 80% of his
devotees of my sample came to know him through airing
of satsang program. The remaining has joined when they
came across his magazine.

The nature of religious sphere is changing. Is it a
new process? I think that change is always going on,
it is a continuous process and ever occuring process,
but the thing is that the nature of change may itselk
be changing. The atmosphere in which something exist,
is changing and the same is happening in the relgiouis
sphere. Because of the enhancement in informatioin
technology, the nature of whole process has changed.

During the first phase of information revolution, when
printing press came in prominence, the oral texts were
printed and recorded. However, with the advent of
digital era or information technology, now again these
printed material is being converted into oral form but
now this kind of oral records are more stable and easy
to convey and carry forward.

This is whole for this month and hope that  I would
give you all more information as I will proceed with
my fieldwork.

Thanks

Surya Prakash
I-Fellow 2007 Sarai