[Reader-list] Underbelly of poorvanchal - 2

Rakesh rakesh at sarai.net
Mon Jul 2 17:26:33 IST 2007

Hi Shubhra

Thank you very much for this detailed narrative, especially in a way of
an interview. I don't thing any exaggeration in the story. This is true.
True for other part of Eastern UP and Bihar.

I have to comment on your last paragraph, where you suspect that the
Upper caste alliance with Mayawati and BSP perhaps will not be helpful
for the emancipation of dalits. I slightly differ from your position. It
is true that upper caste landlords, goons, mafias and all kinds of anti
social elements are coming in vidhan sabhas and parliament but i think,
the composition of Mayawati led UP vidhan sabha is going other way
round. Now the upper caste part of BSP will have to be responsible to
their voters (say the people) at the grass root level, otherwise, she
already had given enough indication of her follow up actions. And
finally, Mayawati's rule in itself is a new beginning in the direction
of dalit emancipation.

best wishes
rakesh