[Reader-list] Inder, your answer

Raheema Begum theunderscoredhood at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 21:01:08 IST 2007

Arnab,

I don't know if you will excuse my saying so in public, but I think that
your work is brutally brutally(brutally, brutally) insensitive and inert.

It takes a lot of indifference to make a comment like this. But I hope you
will think about it.

And the reasons why I refrain from being polite are

It does'nt take a fascist to change the world. It takes a realist. In
adopting a stern ideological position you want to be heard. I have things to
say. And I cannot wait until fortune(whatever that is) drops my way. It
means that from where you are, you want, desperately to articulate what you
feel.

It only takes an extremely masculine, privileged position to be as
insensitive and culturally sterile as your research is.

While for some the personal, public, and private may be constructs that the
likes of Habermas figured out, for some it's a loss. Of an entire history.

While for some all that is going on needs to be looked at through the eyes
of (who, why?) theorists, for some people like me (and this is personal),
it's a complete lacoona of understanding about how to participate. So when
the debates are played out on some abstract notion of Freedom of Expression
(what?), for some other people it's the freedom to breathe that is at stake.
The freedom to be.To imagine.

And terrorism.

Tell you what I think terrorism is, terrorism is not being allowed to behave
how you want to.

Not being allowed to articulate your view point. I think terrorism is when
you're expected to conform to everyone's ideas.

Terrorism is stifling difference. Terrorism is when you want to scream but
are stifled because you are'nt allowed to stand out in everyone's confused
pot pourri of consumption. That's what terrorism is.

Terrorism is expecting everyone to listen when you talk, when you dole out
judgments.

Being excluded.

Terrorism is expecting someone to subscribe to what your idea of radical or
modern or noteworthy.

I refuse to participate.

I refuse to comment.

I don't want to have anything to do with your public sphere.

Go on, ask me why I'm so despondent.