[Reader-list] Brouhaha Over the Veil

Iram Ghufran iram at sarai.net
Mon Jul 23 23:43:14 IST 2007

I agree Fatima. Now to bring some poetry (also prose) into the
discussion :-)

====

Princess Zeib un Nissa, eldest daughter of Emperor Aurangzeb
(b.1637 - d. 1702)

http://persian.packhum.org/persian/

I will not lift my veil,

For, if I did, who knows?

The bulbul might forget the rose,

The Brahmin worshipper

Adoring Lakshmi’s grace

Might turn, forsaking her,

To see my face;

My beauty might prevail.

Think how within the flower

Hidden as in a bower

Her fragrant soul must be

And none can look on it;

So me the world can see

Only within the verses I have writ –

I will not lift the veil.

====

Rokeya Sakhawat Hossain
(b.1880 - d. 1932)

Report Fourteen

The following incident happened about twenty-two years ago. An aunt,
twice removed of my husband, was going to Patna from Bhagalpor; she was
accompanied by her maid only. At Kiul railway junction, they had to
change trains. While boarding the train, my aunt-in-law stumbled against
her voluminous burqa and fell on the railway track. Except her maid,
there was no woman at the station. The railway porters rushed to help
her up but the maid immediately stopped them by imploring in God’s name
not to touch her mistress. She tried to drag her mistress up by herself
but was unable to do so. The train waited for only half an hour but no more.

The Begum’s body was smashed - her burqa torn. A whole stationful of men
witnessed this horrible accident - yet none of them was permitted to
assist her. Finally her mangled body was taken to a luggage shed. Her
maid waited piteously. After eleven hours of unspeakable agony she died.
What a gruesome way to die!

From: The Secluded Ones, a collection of humorous essays on ridiculous
consequences of the practice of Purdah.

(from http://www.english.emory.edu/Bahri/Hossain.html )

====

A short poem by Akbar Allahabadi (I think).
(b. 1846 - d.1921)

Be- purdah nazar aayein jo chand biwiyaan

Dekh kar Akbar ghairat- e- qaum se garh gaya,

Poocha ke aapka purdah kidhar gaya

Boli ki aqal pe mardon ki par gaya.

Seeing some women without a veil

Akbar bowed his head in shame for the community,

When asked where their veil has gone -

They said it now veils men’s wisdom.

(translation from Urdu by a friend)

====