[Reader-list] Photographs from Bombay's Cinema Halls

Zubin Pastakia zubinpastakia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 21:01:31 IST 2007

Hello,

This is my fourth post to the Reader-List related to my fellowship
project "A Photographic Study of Bombay's Cinema Halls as a Cultural
Experience of Space."

The highlight this month was photographing a full-house at Maratha
Mandir for the Sunday matinee show, where "Dilwale Dulhania Le
Jayenge" (DDLJ) has been playing for nearly 12 years now. The hall,
which was filled to its capacity (approximately 1200 seats),
reverberated with the collective reactions of the primarily young male
viewers, many of whom had watched the film several times over. That
would maybe explain why there were a lot of people sleeping through
large sections of the film as well.

Also added to the website, a couple of pictures from Moti Talkies,
which is located in Khetwadi, close to the "red-light" area of
Falkland Rd. This was the first hall that I had started photographing
last year.

I have had a bit of trouble with access this month, however things
have finally started moving in the past couple of weeks with some help
from the owners of places that I have already photographed.

In the coming weeks I will be shooting Bharat Mata, Gaiety Galaxy, and
Capitol. The first is a hall that plays only Marathi films; the second
is a unique stand-alone "multiplex"; and the third is a certified
heritage structure opposite the CST station.

As usual, all feedback and comments are most welcome.

Please take a moment to view the pictures:

http://peripheralvision.blogspot.com

I will be updating the site frequently this month as I collect more
material that I want to share.

Best,

Zubin

--