[Reader-list] shuddhabratas response

Taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 21:58:07 IST 2007

I am surprised that these mails are appearing days after the unfortunate mails which caused these responses were written. I had expressed my views as soon as I read Shuddha's mail. But the mail never reached the list. I wrote to Shuddha but the mail was never acknoledged. The mail is also pasted below today's message. I strongly object any generalization about a religion, caste or culture on the basis of an individual. Bongs should not have been dragged in to the mess. We could have avoided quoting the unfortunate words which occurred in Abhik's deplorable mail. I still maintain that bullying someone, even if off list, on an issue related to an issue raised on list, cannot be condoned. There could have been other ways of expressing displeasure.

The following is my mail which has thus far failed to reach the list.
Dear Shuddha and all. The message that started this mess was quite
insensitive and unscientific in its approach. And so were some responses,
like one that linked invention of the computer and scientific thinking to
Christianity. Scientific development could be possible in the west only
after the discovery of pagan (not Christian) learning, (renaissance). What
we today consider facts caused many people their lives, people with
scientific thinking were burnt alive as heretics. Even today in the name of
the religion people are not being allowed contraceptives; there is a very
influential lobby in the US trying to ban abortion. Religion is a big
headache for gay and lesbian activists. I am not sure what do various
scriptures say about above mentioned issues, but I don't practice any
religion so know these religions from their practitioners only. It was done
all in the name of religion: Crusades between Christians and Muslims,
hanging and burning of the practitioners of (black magic) science, slave
trade, colonization and suppression of various cultures and languages,
Partition of India and violence related to it, demolition of the mosque and
the riots thereafter, Massacre in Gujarat, and blogs giving a ranking as to
which religion is more violent/terrorist. (My knowledge of history is really
poor). I am not afraid of hell, dozakh or nark ... so I would like to say
that religions should be banned from the public sphere.

I know there can be some rude messages in response to my message but this is
my opinion and I don't want any flaming even off list, even if Shuddha may
not consider it violation of list etiquettes. I beg to differ from the
following opinion/ruling of Shuddha

"Abhik Samanta has written in his private capacity to Vedavati, and not
on the list. So his post (no matter how objectionable and misogynist its
content may be, which I think it is, even though I can understand his
outrage at Vedavati's clear act of hate speech) is not technically a
breach of list etiquette."

It might give precedence to a wrong practice. There are better ways of
expressing your displeasure, showering obcenities, even if off list, on a
member for an issue related to the list, should not be condoned. Writing
objectionable mails to the members off list in order not to violate the list
etiquettes is, in my opinion, akin to american government kid-napping people
and harassing them away from the main land so as to avoid the law of the
land. I deplore such practice.

I am quite new to this list so not sure what the Hindutva-vadis have been
doing in the past, but if someone is insensitive again and again why not ban
that person or tell that person that such mails will not be allowed on the
list? it is technologically possible to ban specific IP addresses, or mails
with specific words in the body. Then individuals can create message rules
in their e mail clients to ban such individuals, IP addresses or mails.
Shouting obscenities is the worst, rather no solution at all.