[Reader-list] [Announcements] Reviving a Researcher's Discussion Forum- in Bangalore

lalitha kamath elkamath at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 08:50:01 IST 2007

For those in Bangalore who are interested:

 Dear friends,

Every day seems to bring new researchers to Bangalore to
explore the rapidly changing urban landscape. So many people doing interesting
and innovative research. Yet we know little of what's going on. To encourage
greater dialogue and sharing, and stimulate  feedback, collaborations, and
a peer community, we would like to revive a Discussion Forum on the lines of the
Arrupe Discussion Forum (ADF).

Several years ago, for those who remember, we used to meet
monthly at the Arrupe Hall (the reason we called ourselves Arrupe Discussion
Forum) in Ashirvad. The ADF was a cross-disciplinary group who met on the first
Saturday of every month in the afternoon. Participants contributed a nominal
amount to cover tea and the cost of the hall. At the monthly discussions,
different speakers shared their work with the group. People felt free to
contribute ideas, ask for inputs, and even team up to do research on specific
projects.

We would like to propose a first meeting of a Researcher's
Discussion Forum on March 3rd at 2.30pm, at the National
Institute of Advanced Studies, IISc campus, in the new Faculty Block,
Seminar Room (please write to me if you need directions). Subsequent meetings
will be held at Ashirvad or another more convenient location.

At the first meeting, we would like to spend some time
discussing organizational issues, how we would like to proceed as a
research/discussion forum, and, importantly, what we would like to call
ourselves.

During the second part of the meeting, Prof Michael
Goldman from the University of Minnesota (Department of Sociology) will
share with us thoughts on his ongoing project in Bangalore, entitled 'The
making of a world city'.

So please come for the first meeting on March 3rd. And talk
about it to those who you think would be interested.

 Where : National
Institute of Advanced Studies, IISc campus, in the Seminar Room, new Faculty
Block.

 When : Saturday, March
3rd, 2.30-5pm

Coffee/ tea will be served.

It would be helpful if you could rsvp so
that we can figure out how much coffee to get! Thanks

Looking forward,

Please forward this mail to others who may be interested.

Lalitha and Carol

8

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time