[Reader-list] [Announcements] Rally to Protest NandigramKillings

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:11:31 IST 2007

Joy,

I think there is some truth in what you say. Yes, the people's ("our")
lethargy is partly to blame. But that is part of the picture. What about
the other part, namely the active, non-lethargic methods adopted by the
Left Front to continue in power and to continuously consolidate its
stranglehold on every institution of society?

It may be true that Congress and BJP are no better than the CPI-M. (I
say this about the specific issue of Nandigram and Singur - see what has
happened in Sardar Sarovar.) But to refrain from protesting on that
ground would be to give the ruling Left Front a walk-over.

Finally, I do think it is time to look beyond the violence and
corruption - in which Congress, BJP and CPI-M seem to be competing for a
photo-finish - at the development philosophy many of us share with them
uncritically, and which is at the root of the conflict not only in
Nandigram and Singur but also in Sardar Sarovar and many other places.

Tapas