[Reader-list] [Announcements] Rally to Protest NandigramKillings

Taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 20:44:17 IST 2007

There would be protests if BJP, TMC or Congress or any other government had
massacred people in Nandi Gram. In fact CPIM activists perhaps be shouting
the loudest, and using their threat of BJP's cleansing of Muslims from the
country. Some newspaper editorials have in fact suggested that Atal Bihari
wants to be soft on the issue of killings in Nandi Gram, whatever may the
reasons be. RSS seems to be supporting it, I had a long argument with an RSS
ideologue on another list on this issue, before I left that list, and that
guy was in support of the land acquisition in Nandi Gram. Even in parliament
when NDA is asking for a discussion, they are focusing on the failure of the
Central government in preventing the crisis, and not really on the
government that lead to it.
For me there is only one binary opposition at present, those who have power
and misuse it and those who want to check the power being misused.
Just because massacres have taken place in the history and nobody was held
responsible for it, or nobody apologized for it, doesn't mean that CPM
should be allowed to get away with the brutalities perpetrated on the weak
and innocent people.

I reject the cynicism expressed in the below mail. Even if it is a mirage or
a dream that there will be a time when people will be able to understand and
resist the machinations for/of power, I would like to nurture it. As Pash
said
Sab se khatarnaak hai sapnon ka mar jana.

(Death of dreams is the most dangerous.)