[Reader-list] Nandigram and the Icon

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 18:21:28 IST 2007

Shuddha,

A quick response: When I said the CPI-M line had been articulated on
this list, I meant that some members had put forward arguments in
keeping with the CPI-M position, not that official statements had been
posted. I apologise if I have been misunderstood.

I now find that Prakash Ray has forwarded a CPI-M press release dated
March 19. So it seems that from now on, we will have The Word itself,
not its interpretation by Prakash Ray and others. It seems to me that
Ray is withdrawing from the debate as a person who inevitably interprets
(party-generated) texts in articulating it, and is putting in his own
place the frozen Word, the icon of his god.

I think we should consider whether this list should be a sanctum
sanctorum where gods speak in their metallic voices and humans then
discuss The Word among themselves, or a commons where people speak to
one another in human voices.

Tapas