[Reader-list] Nandigram is free from terror after 11 months..

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 18:14:23 IST 2007

It may be just me, but I seem to detect in some messages from the member
whose post is quoted below, an intention to provoke those who do not
subscribe to his views. In this, he is very similar to the saffron
crowd, which I have filtered out. The other similarity with the saffron
crowd is a tendency to think in simplistic, black-and-white terms.

I cannot help noting, as Vivek has done in his post, the use of the term
"anti-Left". To me, this is rather amusing. This person has arrogated to
himself the right to decide who and what is "Left" and what is
"anti-Left". And of course, only those who support his party are
"Leftists". All others are "anti-Left". As far as I know, some of the
literature published by his own party cautions against such
black-and-white thinking. But then those may be out of fashion in his
organisation these days.

(A related question: I think he will not deny that there are differences
of opinion with the CPI(M), too. Then which opinion within the CPI(M) is
"Left" and which is "anti-Left"?)

A couple more things. I think it needs to be remembered that the
"blood-thirsty Maoists" were a gift of the CPI(M) to West Bengal and the
rest of India in the late 1960s. Once born, they went on to consume
their own parents, along with police and other government officials.
Even today, are the Maoists operating in West Midnapore, Bankura,
Purulia and parts of Hooghly, etc., all imports from Chattisgarh and
Jharkhand? Can such activities be carried on without the support or
active participation of locals? The answer is no. They are locals, many
formerly of the CPI(M) itself, who have taken up arms against that party
because they found no possibility of injustices being redressed through
it, or within its setup.

As for the other group, "Mamata's killers", who are they? Again, many
are former CPI(M) workers, or workers of its Left Front partners, who
have turned against the party for the very same reason. Nandigram itself
used to be a CPI(M) and CPI bastion until trouble started, and many
people in the BUPC - including leading people - are former CPI(M) activists.

For individuals who took up the CPI(M) flag in the 1990s or 2000s - when
it had already become firmly entrenched for "1000 years of rule" as a
party of the establishment with the power, virtually, over people's life
and death in West Bengal - it is not possible to comprehend the respect
the party commanded during the first term of West Bengal's Left Front
Government in 1977-82, when land reforms were being implemented and the
sufferings of its activists at the hands of Congress and Naxalite
elements during 1972-77 were fresh in people's minds. But that goodwill
was quickly dissipated by its own actions, which included murder,
mayhem, and the tendency to control everything, every institution, by
hook or by crook. What remained were the politics of fear, and of the
"loaves and fishes" of office. The word "humane" sounds ridiculous
coming from people who seem to support such an organisation unconditionally.

Tapas