[Reader-list] Nandigram Relief - an appeal

peter griffin zigzackly at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 20:58:25 IST 2007

With reference to my earlier mail on the subject (quoted below), I had some
misgivings about the old clothes, but sent it on nevertheless, since the
folks who forarded it to me are reliable sources.

After I sent it to a few more friends, I got this from Amit Varma:

"It might be a well-meaning and genuine appeal, but in my experience, old
clothes are generally the worst possible thing to give, because even poor
people don't take hand-me-downs. When Dilip and I travelled in TN after the
tsunami, the roadsides were littered with colorful heaps of old clothes
nobody wanted. Both of us wrote about it extensively, Dilip also using the
experience of previous trips through disaster-struck areas.

Of course, in this instance this specific need might exist for some reason.
But in general, it is a bad idea, and I thought it fair to share that."

I wrote to Dilip D'souza as well:

"What's your take on this?

I had my misgivings about this, given my learnings from the post-Tsunami
scenario, not least because of your own postings on the matter.
Nevertheless, I did send it on to several others. Amit Varma echoed my
concerns thusly:  [Amit's mail quoted here]
If you're in agreement, you may want to post a point of view somewhere.

Dilip said:

"Amit is right: from Orissa '99 to Kutch '01 to TN '04, nobody in those
areas wants old clothes. It's true, this is a slightly different case
-- it's a manmade calamity rather than a natural one. I think we
should hold off sending old clothes until we get some more info from
the trenches. Maybe we should reply to that appeal asking specifically
about the old clothes. (Once we get a reply, I'll post that
somewhere). I'll send a note.

Money can be used to buy new clothes."

Dilip has, after this exchange, written to the origanators of this appeal,
stating his concerns, and asking for clarification. He also notes that the
"phone number listed for Mahashweta Devi does not work."

Should we get a response, I will share it with this list.

Thanks for your time,

peter

On 12/11/2007, peter griffin <zigzackly at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got this via reliable sources. Do please post / pass on.

http://zigzackly.blogspot.com/
http://yourchequeisinthemail.blogspot.com/
http://clickiii.blogspot.com/
& also